Is Droid Mini a global ready phone?
mrmike123

I'm planning a trip to Canada. I'm receiving conflicting information from Verizon on whether my Droid Mini is global ready or not. The International Trip Planner tells me You can use the DROID Mini 4G LTE Black to voice, text and data in all selected countries. Wireless Coverage in Canada and Mexico will be improved using a Global-Ready device. If you're upgrading, we recommend 4G LTE Global-Ready device. When I log in to My Verizon and navigate to My Global Device & Services, I am not able to select any global service for my Droid Mini, and I see the message This phone is designed to run on the network technology available in the US and more than 25 other countries (primarily in North America, the Carribean and some Asian countries). It's not designed to roam in the majority of international countries. The paperwork and manuals that I received with my Droid Mini indicate that the Droid Mini is a global ready phone that can be used in more than 200 countries.

So, is the Droid Mini a global ready phone, and will I be able to roam on GSM networks in Canada with 3G data service, rather than 2G?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Is Droid Mini a global ready phone?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

mrmike123,

A trip to Canada sounds very fun! No worries with your phone - Canada uses the same technology we use here in the USA, which is called CDMA, and your phone absolutely supports it. In addition to that, many other countries support a technology called GSM, and your phone is able to connect to that as well. If you refer to the specs listed for your phone you will see both CDMA and GSM band frequencies listed under the Network section. Canada has started utilizing some GSM technology, and that may be where the confusion is coming in to play, but either way your phone will be able to be used while traveling.

Your line may need to have a free feature called International Dialing added to it before your trip so you can use your phone outside of the country. Please give us a call at 1-800-922-0204 and we'll make sure you've got it!

SarahO_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Is Droid Mini a global ready phone?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

mrmike123,

A trip to Canada sounds very fun! No worries with your phone - Canada uses the same technology we use here in the USA, which is called CDMA, and your phone absolutely supports it. In addition to that, many other countries support a technology called GSM, and your phone is able to connect to that as well. If you refer to the specs listed for your phone you will see both CDMA and GSM band frequencies listed under the Network section. Canada has started utilizing some GSM technology, and that may be where the confusion is coming in to play, but either way your phone will be able to be used while traveling.

Your line may need to have a free feature called International Dialing added to it before your trip so you can use your phone outside of the country. Please give us a call at 1-800-922-0204 and we'll make sure you've got it!

SarahO_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes