Internal Memory - Actual v. formatted capacity
Billis

Kind of a new smartphone user here so bear with me.  I understood that the Bionic, from everything I read before its availability, came with 16gb of internal (on-board) memory.  However, when I go to settings I see just 8 gb of total memory available under internal storage settings.  Now I read on the website under the Bionic specs for Memory/Processor that it has "16GB internal memory for emails, texts, and apps - actual formatted capacity will be less."  Um...why?  All I heard about was 16gb in the phone and a 16gb sd card.  Is this all the pre-installed apps that I'll never use like v-cast apps, blockbuster, slacker, etc. that's taking up a full 50% of the storage on this phone?  If it is, I'm feeling a little bummed that this wasn't made clearer before and at time of purchase.  Anyway, any and all helpful feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Internal Memory - Actual v. formatted capacity
Wildman
Legend

This is because the after installing the OS and any additional software for the device to function and also the advertisment software this is what is left.... Its like a new pc, it may come with a 120gb hard drive but only have 80 gb free out of box.

But if I read correctly the device also comes wth a 16Gig sd card thay you can save persona files on because the internal storage is for app data and not accessable for personal files.

0 Likes
Re: Internal Memory - Actual v. formatted capacity
sdCard

Please don't except that answer.  You were lied to about the memory in your phone.  I have seen answers like the one below about formatting and apps taking space.  But don't let's be silly!  The OS is telling you the TOTAL available and how much is free.  The total available will be a little less than the stated amount.  It is true that formatting takes a little space.  That is why the TOTAL is about 15 on your SD card.  Go ahead and fill it up or delete everything--the TOTAL will always be the same.  Add a bunch of stuff to the internal storage--same thing.  you will see the available go up and down with use but the TOTAL will always be 8.  That is because you have 8 total--NOT 16!  If it had 16 and apps and OS and whatever took 8 (they don't) you would see 16 reported as the TOTAL with never more than 8 available.  The OS is not stored in that storage; it is in the firmware.  Bottom line... we have been lied to about how much storage space is delivered in this phone!

0 Likes