Re: Pictures and Specs of HTC Hero and Motorola Tao
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

The HTC phone has been dubbed the Desire.  It passed FCC approval in late September.  It has a WiFi certification for b and g.  I would be a little surprised and disappointed if they are going through all the hoops for this kind of thing if all they would have to do is re-badge the hero.  Especially with all the hardware updates that have been going on there since.  I wouldn't doubt if they come out about the same time and the specs are remarkably similar.  The HTC may not have a keypad.  There is eerily little information on the HTC phone except that it exists and has passed muster with the FCC.  We have seen one picture from afar that hardly tell us anything except that it apparently does have the HTC custom UI.  I am anxious for an announcement or a relase or something.  I upgrade november 21 which means I will hold out till black friday and hope that there are some reviews in by then.  I want to know if the Motorola phone is going to be one of those rare motorola gems or a dud like most of them have been on our network.  I wish I knew more about the HTC phones especially the Android ones.  I am really wanting a smart phone and these with processors that compete with the Iphone but run a lighter OS should be awesome. 

0 Likes
n0yxl
Enthusiast - Level 3

DarthMatt wrote:

does the sholes have resistive or capacitive screen?

Capacitive.  I believe all Android phones are capacitive touch.

0 Likes
Paleogirl2003
Enthusiast - Level 1
0 Likes
n0yxl
Enthusiast - Level 3

Paleogirl2003 wrote:

Motorola Sholes / Droid live photos
http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/10/13/motorola-sholes-droid-live-photos/

Did they take those shots with a fisher price camera?! :smileysurprised:  Oh well, nice to see something new I guess...

0 Likes
Paleogirl2003
Enthusiast - Level 1

n0yxl wrote:

Did they take those shots with a fisher price camera?! :smileysurprised:  Oh well, nice to see something new I guess...

lol I know right?

0 Likes
techspert
Contributor - Level 1

fezzik wrote:

The HTC phone has been dubbed the Desire.  It passed FCC approval in late September.  It has a WiFi certification for b and g.  I would be a little surprised and disappointed if they are going through all the hoops for this kind of thing if all they would have to do is re-badge the hero.  Especially with all the hardware updates that have been going on there since.  I wouldn't doubt if they come out about the same time and the specs are remarkably similar.  The HTC may not have a keypad.  There is eerily little information on the HTC phone except that it exists and has passed muster with the FCC.  We have seen one picture from afar that hardly tell us anything except that it apparently does have the HTC custom UI.  I am anxious for an announcement or a relase or something.  I upgrade november 21 which means I will hold out till black friday and hope that there are some reviews in by then.  I want to know if the Motorola phone is going to be one of those rare motorola gems or a dud like most of them have been on our network.  I wish I knew more about the HTC phones especially the Android ones.  I am really wanting a smart phone and these with processors that compete with the Iphone but run a lighter OS should be awesome. 

I was a little disappointed in the Hero reviews so I hope the Desire isn't just a repackaged Hero.  Android seems like the best mobile OS "fit" for me, but the hardware out there pretty much blows.  Lots of underspec'ed clones.  The Samsung Moment is the only one that has actually took a step forward from the current "mold", though the display is still small.  Anyway, with the HTC Android phone offering coming to Verizon, I love the idea of the multi-touch capacitive screen, and I can live with the slower processor, but if it has the same HVGA 3.2" display....eh.  Probably gonna push me towards the Omnia II.  The smartphone market is expanding, but there still seems to be lots of compromises instead of choices.

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

Yeah I ikind of wish we were getting the Acer Liquid A1 I wonder where it is going.  Anyway I don't know that the HTC will fearture a better screen.  Probably not in my opinion.  I think maybe a 600mhz processor or something will be the only upgrade from the hero probably not enough differences there.  I am cautiously optimistic about the droid/tao/sholes/whatever large screen 600mhz etc but I have been burned by Motorola and my wife would be really upset if we spent all that money on a phone that works like our previous motorolas.  I was kind of hoping the HTC would have a keyboard but we will see what is out when i can get a phone.  If I am unsatisfied I guess i will wait till next year but i really don't want to wait that long.  I want an android smart phone next month. 

0 Likes
New clear picture of the Motorola Droid
sonyab523

http://twitpic.com/li49c

As you can see it is running Android Eclair 2.0 and the official name is Droid.

0 Likes
Re: New clear picture of the Motorola Droid
n0yxl
Enthusiast - Level 3

sonyab523 wrote:

http://twitpic.com/li49c

As you can see it is running Android Eclair 2.0 and the official name is Droid.

Firmware version 2.0  -It says nothing about the OS.  Phone looks awesome :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
Re: New clear picture of the Motorola Droid
Disturbed_One

Anyone one know the OFFICIAL specs?

I've read it has the 600Mhz CPU, yet also Verizon will get a 500Mhz CPU? (Not, I'm not confusing it with the GPU)

0 Likes