Incredible screen and sunlight
hope12839
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have read quite a few of the many reviews of the Incredible, and some have mentioned that the screen is nearly impossible to read on a sunny day outside. Some have blamed it on being an OLED screen which they claim are prone to have this problem; however I thought that the OLED screens were supposed to be better in all light conditions and in direct sunlight! So what's the deal here?! and is there a way to adjust the screen to cope?; I know it has the auto-brightness feature which is supposed to automatically adjust the screen brightness, but is there a way to manually adjust it further?

I am considering getting the Incredible, but am very concerned if I can't see the screen when I'm outdoors, which is quite a bit.

Any observations, particularly from Verizon?

0 Likes
Re: Incredible screen and sunlight
medic2joey
Contributor - Level 2

If you can not read it because of sunlight. Turn around and your body will shade it. Im not trying to be smart but I really think that is a silly thing to complain about. Nothing ever fully pleases people unless they get it for free.

But on your note, Hope, It does have a auto adjust feature and a manual. Turning it up all the way helps some by why anyone would angle the phone towards sun is beyond me. I used to have Iphone that everyoen said was fine in the sun, point it to the sun and the reflection will blind you. So on that, The Incredible is a great phone in my opinion.

0 Likes
WBMc36

almost all screens are impossible to see in sunlight. Have you ever had a laptop outside? Its not a problem with the incredible more so than the screens used in all devices. Its the exact same with my env touch.

0 Likes
hope12839
Enthusiast - Level 2

It is not a silly thing to complain about if you use the phone outside alot. I have the LG Versa and no matter which way you position the phone outdoors on a sunny day, or even a moderately bright day, you can't read the screen. Also, I was'nt complaining; I simply asked a question based on reviews of the Incredible from people who have them. You seem to imply that people would deliberately angle the phone towards the sun; I think that you are wrong, no one does that deliberately!

A little compassion and tact goes a long ways; the "nothing ever fully pleases people unless they get it for free" crack was unkind and unnecessary. I'm kind of sorry I dared ask a valid question. Next time I'll ask Verizon or HTC directly instead.

medic2joey
Contributor - Level 2

Hi Hope, My opinions are not directed towards you but to others I have seen posted on here about the Incredible is who I was referring too. Just wanted you to keep in mind that over 300,000 have been sold and only about 200 people have complained about it and maybe 50 about the screen thing. Its just one of those things people will never be happy with. Like for example a battery life, if you look at every phone on the website it has someone complaining about the battery life.

I was basically just letting you know that it was not a big deal to worry about and its silly that people have to bring that issue here for you and others to read and worry about.

0 Likes
mjs1124

Just so you know, there is an anti glare screen protector that does a pretty good job on mine. It gives it a little bit of a strange look in bright indoor light but it does make the screen visible in sunlight. Its an official Incredible screen protector available at Verizon. Also just for comparison my Voyager and Storm were impossible to see in sunlight.

0 Likes
stevehy
The Incredible has an AMOLED screen of which type are very difficult to read in bright light (it is a failing of the screen type; it gives great contrast in regular lighting conditions, but becomes washed out in bright sunlight, the Nexus 1 suffers from this as do all AMOLED screens). If you use your device frequently outdoors, look at a regular led screen, such as the Motorola Droid. It definitely is usable in bright sunlight, or wait a few weeks for the Motorola Droid Extreme, which has a 4” led screen.
0 Likes
hope12839
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks guys for the input; and no personal offense taken. We're all good!

What is this Moto Droid Extreme? Are you saying that Verizon will have it in a few weeks? I read somewhere that Verizon has a new phone coming out on Fathers Day(June 20); is that the one? I take it that LED screens work a bit better outdoors?

0 Likes
stevehy
Yes, led screens are easier to see in sunlight. The Droid Xtreme is coming, it's listed in Verizon's stock.
0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

any phone is more difficult to see the screen in the sun. you even mentioned your current one is impossible. i know other phones have different types of screens, but i have yet to use any phone in direct sunlight with the ability to easily see the screen. on mine, i just set a wallpaper that is very bright (white/grey) and i can at least see the icons very well. textin and email have white screen backgrounds so i think they are just fine. really, the only major problem i have is viewing pics in the sun, but i can't imagine any other phone is any better, since i had the same problem with my last phone (env).

0 Likes