Re: Incredible OTA Update 720p, Hotspot, Boot Animation
Codachrome

Yeah, I went through all this "wringing of the hands" and "drooling" when I had the Eris... So let me just be thankful for the DINC!  It's miles better than what I had!  I'm enjoying not dropping calls... a kickin' camera... and a fast interface!  And I wouldn't have Sprint's signal strength anyway!  When the update comes, then my phone will be all that the EVO has (for the most part) and the BEST signal and coverage.  What good is 4G anyway without a network to back it up?  I guess to say you had the status of having a  "4G phone" is worth more to some people than me!  As they say:  IT AIN'T ALL THAT!

0 Likes
increditim

spoke with verizon again. we will get an update to 2.2. i think it will be in september. i don't see a separate maintenance update coming. time to either wait it out even though other phones are getting it first or go get one of those other phones. i plan on waiting

0 Likes
max69442
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think what irks a lot of people is that the EVO has gotten 2.2 before the Incredible. They have basically the same software (2.1 with Sense) moving to 2.2 with Sense. The Incredible was out a month before the EVO, and it's looking like it will get 2.2 one month after the EVO.

I understand the Moto Droid getting 2.2 first, it was out first and is stock android. I'm actually surprised that it hadn't gotten 2.2 earlier, considering how long the Nexus One has had it and they are basically the same as far as software goes. Anybody who got a phone with Sense, Motoblur, or Touchwiz understands that stock android will be updated first. But when a phone with a skinned android released a month later gets it first it makes you wonder why. Now if the X gets 2.2 before the Incredible, I am done sticking up for Verizon. I will be looking at ALL options when my contract is up, maybe even before. It should come on a first come (ie release) first serve basis in the interests of fairness. I have no problem with stock android getting it first, but with the skinned android builds I believe it's only fair.

I know that this is about the maintenance OTA, but since they decided to roll that in with 2.2, now those who have issues with their phone (audio drop out, low signal, grounding issue) have to wait even longer because they wanted to do 1 update instead of 2. Funny thing is the EVO got an update a few weeks back to fix those issues. What'd be nice is at least let us know when they're shooting for as far as release date. They could put any disclamers they wanted to, but at least give people an idea of when, rather than just "before Christmas". I've talked with both HTC and Verizon, and both say either "no info" or "talk to (the other guy)".

0 Likes
popcycle4
Enthusiast - Level 2

not really that interested in the really MINOR improvements and hype about Froyo, 2.2., etc. What is important is solving the problem of the garbled voice quality.  This HTC customer service has promised.

0 Likes
FramCire

Today I begged Verizon to give me an idea if we were looking at days, weeks, or months so I could decide to move to the X or wait it out.  I just want my phone to work decently as a phone.

It is all about the call improvements not the froyo.  I will love froyo, but I want to make calls.

0 Likes
dabubbakin
Contributor - Level 3
So what was the result of the begging?
0 Likes
FramCire

She could not tell me anything date wise but gave me a few options.  I wont go into the rest of the conversation, but I am in waiting mode and no closer to knowing when.

What does your source say?  He may have been wrong, but I love intrigue.

0 Likes
dabubbakin
Contributor - Level 3
My take on his info is that it was legit, but something happened, (not surprisingly with vzw). Unfortunately he lives out of town so I can't get an update and I don't trust contacting him on vzw network. I don't want him to get in trouble. I know I know he sounds fake. Let me just say its my word he's real. I'm curious myself what really happened. Curious enough that even if I don't see him for a year I'm going to ask him to update all of us.
In other news...... is today the day ya think? I'm thinking by Friday we'll have it!
0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

elmariachi wrote:

Heard the update closes one of the root options. There's leaked versions of 2.2 out there but they're still buggy for the most part, not worth risking.

There are fixes for the bugs.  I have uh heard that it is much faster with better battery life and new software for the radio which gives much better signals. 

0 Likes
glaundry

This is hilarious and how we dinc owners are starting to feel waiting for Froyo.

http://www.androidguys.com/2010/08/04/hitler-ready-ditch-cliq-windows-mobile-21-update-humor-video/#...

0 Likes