Incredible AMOLED to SLCD Change and Verizon's UNWILLINGNESS to understand
sovalon7

Hello All,

I got the Droid Incredible on launch day, and I have loved the phone, with only minor problems compared to what everyone else is having.  Random reboots were the biggest offender.

Recently my Incredible went crazy and sometimes does not like to turn on for hours, even on a fully charged battery.  When I called Verizon they sent me out a new battery, didn't fix the problem.  Then they sent me out a new phone.  Since it didn't turn on, I argued to have it shipped next day air at no cost to me, which after "getting it approved by a manager", it was sent two day air.  Well it was supposed to arrive on Friday, with Next Day Air, so guess what, now I didn't get it until late Monday afternoon.  I kind of had an idea that I was going to receive one with an SLCD, not an AMOLED screen but I had no choice.  After a few days, with both phones side by side, I cannot stand the yellow hue compared to my old Incredible.

I contacted Verizon this morning and the lady knew about the changes in the screen, but she did not offer any solution other than to deal with it.  I asked to speak with a manager, she put me on hold for about 5 minutes, then came back and told me that the manager was unwilling to do anything.  I could however contact HTC to see if they could change screens.  And they won't be able to because HTC switched to SLCD on most of their phones now.

I think after being a new customer, and expecting at least good customer service since I am making a $2951.52, and !99.99 for the handset commitment to them for 2 years that they would be a little more willing to do something.  I wanted to see if I am way out of line on this.  It all comes down to personal preference and the AMOLED screen WAS a selling point with the Incredible.

I only wish Verizon would consider something to help with this, since I am getting an inferior screen in my opinion.

0 Likes
Re: Incredible AMOLED to SLCD Change and Verizon's UNWILLINGNESS to understand
jstuart91

The Incredible has not switched away from the AMOLED screen. A few other HTC phones have been replacing AMOLED with SLCD, but the Incredible is not one of them...

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/38429/20100726/htc-ditches-samsung-amoled-display-for-sony-s-super-l...

0 Likes
sovalon7

jstuart91 wrote:

The Incredible has not switched away from the AMOLED screen. A few other HTC phones have been replacing AMOLED with SLCD, but the Incredible is not one of them...

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/38429/20100726/htc-ditches-samsung-amoled-display-for-sony-s-super-l...

This is 100% an SLCD display, as confirmed also with Verizon customer support, there is no mistaking the difference.

0 Likes
Sborden
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon support knows NOTHING,  i would take nothing they say as any kind of serious. I am surprised if they even know what an Incredible is

0 Likes
sovalon7

Sborden wrote:

Verizon support knows NOTHING,  i would take nothing they say as any kind of serious. I am surprised if they even know what an Incredible is

Point taken, and you are right.  I however, do know the difference and it is an SLCD.

0 Likes
Sborden
Enthusiast - Level 3

sovalon7 wrote:

Sborden wrote:

Point taken, and you are right.  I however, do know the difference and it is an SLCD.

Not saying you do or dont sovalon, it may be, it may not i have no idea, but any information you get from VZ is probably wrong or a flat out lie.

0 Likes
Lockup
Enthusiast - Level 3

Out of curiosity what would you like them to do?  They are under no obligation to give you a replacement phone that is identical to yours.  Maybe they do not even have one.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

is there not specs anywhere in the packaging? if the specs say one type of screen and your device has another, then you absolutely have a right to some type of resolution (although i don't know what.) i too, thought that they were still using the AMOLED screens. look into their (and htc's) marketing material. what does it say about the screen? if they are shipping these with the LCD's then that is more than false advertising. it is outright fraud (if the specs that came with the device state it has an AMOLED screen). the problem will be getting another vzn rep to acknowledge that it has a different screen (they really don't know what they are talking about (like the above posts said). but if you can go into a store and get them to admit it has a different screen then what the specs say, it is fraud, in my opinion.

0 Likes
sovalon7

Well if you go back to the initial reviews and product information, the AMOLED screen was a selling feature, as is the Galaxy S phones now.  At the time I had purchsed the Incredible, there was no phone with a bigger screen as such the EVO 4G, and at this time I was already locked into Verizon's contract.

I would be happywith them swapping my Incredible out with a Droid X, which also uses an LCD screen, but in turn for the sacrifice I would gain more screen real estate.

As far as what comes with a replacement phone: nothing.  It is just a phone in bubble wrap and a plain cardboard box with a return label and activation instructions so I do not know how much there is to go with that route.

0 Likes
elmariachi
Enthusiast - Level 3

After a few days, with both phones side by side, I cannot stand the yellow hue compared to my old Incredible.

I know I'm being sort of a jerk here and I apologize, but how do you know the yellow hue is due to the LCD screen and not a potential manufacturing defect?

0 Likes