Importing MP3 music files from PC to DROID X
SRD

I connected the Droid X to a powered USB port as instructed and started media share and enabled the Memory Card Manager.  I then found the DROID X flash in my windows explorer screen.

I selected a bunch of MP3 folders to copy to the phone.  It choked right away complaining that the files contained unsupported features on the DROID.  I could import them, but they might not be playable or even appear as a music selection.  (I dont remember the exact wording now because it took so blasted long to create a new login to get to this point - even though I already have a VZW wireless account login - sheesh!).  It said the files might need to be "converted."  It did not say which church I should take them to for the conversion experience.

I answered "no all" for this copy question.  The file copier went through all the files in all the folders.  When it was done it only copied one file into one of the folders.  However, it created all the folders on the DROID.  That file did play ok.  (Enya Shepherd Moons - already born again I guess).

OK, so what do they want here?  What conversion, from what, to what, and why ?

0 Likes
Re: Importing MP3 music files from PC to DROID X
dsxdroider

I too initially had trouble, though a kind Verizon tech support person guided me over the phone this way:

Connect Droid X to PC via the right USB cable.

Pull down the top of the Droid X screen to access the icons listed there.

Select USB section and choose mass storage option (or maybe even just the PC option).

Now, using your PC, go to my computer. Your Droid X should appear as some sort of device (my Droid X appears as an additional removable disk drive).

Click/open that device/disk drive.

Create a file in it called music (and, if you like, create a file in it called pictures)

Open your PC pictures folder and reduce the size of the folder so that it does not fill up the entire screen.

Drag and drop any music files from the PC folder into the Music folder that you just created (it is actually created on the SD memory card in your Droid X).

Unfortunately, you cannot successfully drag and drop folders (I don't think), though the Droid X firmware might reogranize them into albums and/or by artist if your music files carry the relevant information).

Drag and drop any pictures you want on your phone into a folder you create called "picutures".

Drag and drop picture files into this new folder just as you did for music files described above.

When you are finished, just to be safe, pull down the top of the Droid X screen and select charge only (or click on safely remove hardware icon from your PC, which will turn off any active connections between the Droid X and the PC).

Unplug your Droid X from the USB cable (when you are done).

The drag and dropped music files should appear in your Droid X music folder (and any dragged and dropped picture files should appear in your Droid X gallery folder).

I think that should do the trick. If these steps do not work, something very close to them should work. Also, each time I have called Verizon tech support using a different telephone (so that we can work on my Droid X together), the support staff was very patient, professional, kind, friendly, and helpful.

Good luck. Report back here what does and does not work.

0 Likes
SRD

Step 1.  Ignore the manual.  Do not use media share and fool with the memory manager.

Step 2.  Follow the instructions above EXCEPT a) do not use PC mode, only use USB Mass Storage.

You really can drag and drop whole folders of music and it will create music albums.  If enough info is there things will be labeled, named and have the visuals too - otherwise there will be just a list of tracks to play.

Generally, the folks at Verizon are very helpful.  However, with a properly written and included manual (which this is not) none of this mayhem would occur for those of us who read it like I did.

In doing all this my DROID may be corrupted: some things sound different, unlock hesitates now, jumpy things are happening, and I do not see the screen blank due to the proximity sensor as I expect it to now.

Plus I notice an annoying hiss in the speaker after I play music and stop it.  Actually there is no stop, just a pause (??)

(PS, I'm a EE/designer - so I was really careful.  Pity the poor novice.)

I wish Verizon would weigh in on this discussion.

0 Likes
dsxdroider

I agree. Follow the steps in my post of 6:40 PM on 7/19/10, except choose mass storage option and not pc mode for USB mode. The dragged and dropped music will arrive in your music folder and the phone will organize it by musician/group, by album, and even with album cover art if the music file carries that info.

These steps work for me. No annoying hiss or problem with stopping music. Just that unfortunate low volume problem. Don't expect to use your speaker phone to listen to music - either the speakers do not work or the phone is not sending enough power to them. Unfortunately, Verizon has not yet acknowledged the low volume problem let alone proposed a solution for it. I am hoping that someone will write a power management app (or something!) that will send more power to the speakers when the volume is set on high.

0 Likes
DRIZZZZOIDX

I will try this when I get home but man this is way more difficult then it was on the original Droid.

I got to find a way to get movies over to the X as well.

0 Likes
SRD

I never did figure out why my DROID started acting "squirrely" after that download operation.  It was very odd when I unlocked it, and it jumped between a couple screens - hope it was not some kind of static issue between the PC and the phone.  Yes, I did eject first.  I might have tried the music before completely disengaging the PC.  Can't remember.

I do know that the hiss turned out to be a reflection of audio from a fan.  It was not coming from the phone.  Also the proximity sensor does seem to be working right.

Knock on wood.

0 Likes
Daruya

Where is this USB section you spoke of?  ("Pull down the top of the Droid X screen to access the icons listed there.   Select USB section and choose mass storage option (or maybe even just the PC option)."

When I pull down the top of the Droid X screen I don't see any icons unless I have a text message or app updates are available, etc. 

I want to upload some mp3 files from my desktop to my phone as I want the phone to take the place of my mp3 player on occasion, but can't figure out how to get the music transferred!

I've had my phone since January 2011 but have only now wanted to load the music.  Do I create a new folder using the "File" option on the full menu and then load the music to that folder via my PC?

I'm curious what you are referring to with the references to "pull down the top of the Droid X screen . . . "

0 Likes
mwct

When you first plug in your Droid, if you have the notification option turned on, it will tell you that you are hooked to your USB port. Tap that, and you will see the options.

0 Likes
draya06
Contributor - Level 1

Yeah never use Media Share. It's just obnoxious. If you set your phone to USB mass storage, it will stay that way. And if you use windows media player, you can sync to your phone just like any MP3 player. Just plug your phone in and it will connect. I use the stock music app and get pretty album art and everything. Didn't have to set up folders, or organize anything. Just the same way I sync music to my husband's Droid.

0 Likes
draya06
Contributor - Level 1

@ Daruya. When they say "pull down the top of the Droid X screen" your phone needs to be connected to your computer. As soon as you plug in your USB cable, you should see a gray box appear at the top of your screen. You can pull down the top then, and you should see an option for  USB connection "select to manage your USB connection". When you select that a pop up menu will come up. I really suggest the USB Mass Storage option. It tends to be the easiest to use. Also I would recommend using media player to sync music, or a similar program, instead of creating your own folders.

0 Likes