Htc incredible & comcast email notification
Lisa29
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just got the HTC incredible.  My question is that when I am at work I have the phone on vibrate. After 1 minute the screen goes into the sleep mode.  How do I get the phone to alert me (via flashing green light and vibration) when I receive an email.  My carrier is comcast.  It seems as though I have to unlock the phone every 15 minutes to get the notification.  Shouldn't I be alerted even when the phone is in sleep mode?  I do get text notifications when the phone is in sleep mode.  Just an FYI if the email is sent to the gmail account the notification works in the sleep mode, for some reason it just doesn't work for the comcast account. Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Htc incredible & comcast email notification
MrHost
Enthusiast - Level 3
I am using the eris with 2.1 so your options should be similar to mine. There may be some slight differences. These directions assume you are using the mail application: Open your comcast email, press menu, press more, press notification settings. It only allows three options on mine, which are: Email notifications Notification sound Notification vibrate I personally opted to forward them to my gmail account and have them auto labled, and then if I need to respond I could open the mail program and respond through there. Other Thrid party email apps may provide you with the option you are looking for, but I haveresolved to settle with the gmail acocunt, because it is push and I get them quicker than the mail app does because of the wait time the mail app does before getting new messages. Hope this helps, but considering it doesn't give you a visual que, I'm not sure it does. Sorry.
0 Likes
Lisa29
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the reply. My only question is how do you get them forwarded to you gmail account?  If that is the only option i have to get notified while my phone is in sleep mode it will be worth it. Thanks

0 Likes
MrHost
Enthusiast - Level 3

I would call comcast on that one.  They will more thna likely have you login to your email via internet explorer.  They will have forward mail options, but the only thing is how there's works.  They may have a forward all mail option as opposed to store and forward.  If they do the first that means you will get your mail through your gmail account only and then it deletes it off their server. 

Now you can also setup gmail to download pop3 email directly.  Logo on to your gmail account via internet explorer.  Click on "Settings" located in the upper right hand corner. Then click on the "Accounts and Import" tab.  Goto the "Check mail using POP3:" section and click on "add POP3 email account"  You will need the settings from comcast you used to setup on your phone email application.  I haven't added it this way because I own my email server so I could do it on mine with no problem how I wanted.  How ever, there should be an option to leave the email on the server.  Select that, you may have to search for that one.

I have a total of 4 different emails I access on my phone, 3 of the 4 I access through my gmail by having two of them forwarded.  Then I have a lotus email from work and I have an app for that.

Hope the above helps you get setup.  If you get tuck on a page, post a note here and I will get it.

added: 19:20CST

Here is a link to basic setup instructions for gmail access to pop3 accounts:

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=21289

There is the option about leaving the email on their server on the above link under "Leave a copy of retrieved messages on the server"  section.  It tells you what to do there.

0 Likes
Lisa29
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks, that information was most helpful.  I should have stated in my original post that when my phone is in the normal mode (not vibrate) and its been idle for >1 minute the comcast alerts come directly into the phone via sound and flashing light. Can't quite figure out why it doesn't work when in the idle mode on vibrate.

0 Likes
MrHost
Enthusiast - Level 3
In vibrate mode the sound itself is turned off, so that would explain the no sound. The flashing on the other hand I can't explain. Not sure on that one, sorry.
0 Likes