How to revert Droid Bionic from JB back to ICS
mtidd95991

I received a message on my phone that an update had been downloaded last night and pressed the Install button.  When the phone rebooted, I had Jelly Bean.  I have found that I do not like it and would like to revert back to Ice Cream Sandwich that was pushed out last October.  I am really disappointed that Verizon did not provide more information on the update or a link to the release notes.

Please help.  I am not upgrade eligible yet and really hope that I am not stuck with this horrible experience till the end of my contract.

0 Likes
Re: How to revert Droid Bionic from JB back to ICS
AZSALUKI
Legend

unfortunately, you can't uninstall the update. you will be stuck with JB.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

And most new phones will also have JB (or will soon).

Here's the Bionic JB changelog:

Release Notes - DROID BIONIC - Android 4.1.2 (Jelly Bean) Software

0 Likes
mtidd95991

Would this be accurate if I am able to locate the prior OTA update on the web?  I have located the OTA update 6.7.246.XT875.Verizon.en.US, but there are not instructions for it's application/installation.

0 Likes
mtidd95991

Thanks for the link to the Release notes.  I was able to locate this after the fact this morning, when looking for the prior OTA update so that I could revert.

0 Likes
mtidd95991

FYI it is not JB itself that I am not satisfied, it is some of the tweaks that Verizon implemented in the functionality that was previously present on the phone.

I personally hate it when VZ puts locks on the phone's capabilities that the manufacture permits on a phone.  This may be the final straw that makes me switch to another carrier.  Very disappointed!

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

How do you know it was Verizon that made those tweaks? Motorola change their code from a customized ICS android 4.0 base to a more stock JB Android 4.1 for for this update. Those features might have easily been those custom features by Motorola. Those same features won't be available on a device made by HTC, Samsung, LG, etc. Stock Android is different from any of the customized flavor offered by the manufacturers using Android has the base OS for their devices.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
mtidd95991

Fair question Ann.

I am not comparing features with other phones, but the same Bionic that worked fine yesterday, but does not today.  I now receive a Verizon message when turning on options that worked without hindrance yesterday.  The fact that it is a Verizon message indicates it is not something Motorola did without being strong armed by Verizon.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm not receiving any Verizon messages ... what are you receiving and when?

0 Likes