How to Silence ICS Built-In Screen Capture?
Adopt_A_Dog

I just learned from reading in a forum that ICS on the Bionic comes with the ability to screen capture, which is very useful for backing up my home screens in case of a FDR.  To do this, press Volume Down and Power button at the same time and hold momentarily until a camera sound.  The camera sound is loud, and regardless whether I have every volume setting to zero, it still makes the sound, and loudly.  Is there a way to mute that?  Or is it a safety/privacy issue forced by Verizon/Android/Motorola?

On another topic, when I installed the ICS update (after clearing system cache), I experienced slowness, apps timing out, and phone freezing.  This was even after 4 days of allowing the ICS update to settle in.  So, I ended up doing a FDR.  Then, I couldn't install apps from Google Play. It would just show the Downloading progress bar, but no icon in the notification bar.  So I FDR a couple of more times. Still no avail. Then I installed some backed up .apk files from my SD card and that worked. Also, I pushed an install from my PC to my phone.  And after quite a while of starting and stopping the app install attempts, Google Play finally started to download.  Not sure what the cause was, or if it was a waiting game, but all is well now. 

Results: Speedy phone, battery lasting longer, and super fast boot up (for me, compared to Android 2.3 which took forever for my phone).

Was not happy at all at first, but now I am after biting the bullet and performing a FDR which I always dislike due to the hassle.  Took me a good 3-4 hours to install all of my apps, in addition to the Google Play issues I had to work through.

0 Likes
Re: How to Silence ICS Built-In Screen Capture?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I have discovered that the system volume of the phone is sometimes different from the phone and media volume that you can access in the phone's settings. Try downloading the sound manager that can access all of the volume settings. Once installed, see if you can control the system volume separately from the other volume levels and try the screenshot again.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Re: How to Silence ICS Built-In Screen Capture?
Adopt_A_Dog

I have a volume app and turned down all volumes, including System Volume to no avail. Thanks though.

0 Likes