Horrible download/upload data rates during the day.
EnderFFX
Enthusiast - Level 1

In the last 2 months, in the Washington DC area (Germantown, Rockville, Frederick , Gaithersburg) my download rate has been so poor that I cannot do anything that requires any amount of data - I'm talking less than 100k, very small amounts.  I'm currently paying $200+ for unlimited data for both mine and my wife's phone.  I'm out of contract and won't renew or else I get stuck with tiered pricing. 

I've searched all of the messages on here and I've tried turning all of the hardware fixes.  I will occasionally see a brief 30-60 minute time when using data on my phone is reasonable.  Is this occurring to anyone else in the DC area?  I'm getting ready to pull the plug on this overpriced data plan and go to a competitor. 

0 Likes
Re: Horrible download/upload data rates during the day.
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

How much data are you using each month? Since you have a 3G only smartphone you could also be subject to the network optimization policy.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
EnderFFX
Enthusiast - Level 1

Can you point me in the direction of the network optimization policy?  Once I read it, odds are that will be the last straw and I'll be dropping Verizon.  If they are going to "optimize" my data by cutting my service because I'm a top tier data user then I'll find a better company where I'm not paying $200+ a month. 

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

http://support.verizonwireless.com/information/data_disclosure.html

The policy has been in place for over two years now.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
EnderFFX
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've only been feeling the effects for the last 2 months then.  I'm in the top 5% of users according to Verizon's definiton, I do enjoy Verizon's misinformation in the data disclosure:

"How is this different than throttling?

The difference between our Network Optimization practices and throttling is network intelligence.  With throttling, your wireless data speed is reduced for your entire cycle, 100% of the time, no matter where you are. Network Optimization is based on the theory that all customers should have the best network possible, and if you’re not causing congestion for others, even if you are using a high amount of data, your connection speed should be as good as possible. So, if you’re in the top 5% of data users, your speed is reduced only when you are connected to a congested cell site. Once you are no longer connected to a congested site, your speed will return to normal. This could mean a matter of seconds or hours, depending on your location and time of day."

This is not the definition of throttling, throttling is simply the intentional slowing of internet service by an ISP.  Which is exactly what Verizon is doing.  I wouldn't have a problem with being throttled if:
1) I was told it was happening.  (i would actually limit my usage then)

2) If my network speed was reduced, not pretty much cut off.  I can completely understand not having the ability to stream music or videos during peak hours - it makes no sense that I can barely even load up a web page when I'm being throttled.

3) If I actually knew when I was approaching the top 5% - Their definition of 2GB a month is not 5%, I would actually like to see the numbers and see the numbers that really constitutes top 5%.

For this month I'm currently around 1.3 GB (I think).

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi EnderFFX,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I am sad to hear you have not been getting the greatest speeds. I am here to help you. You pay a lot of money and deserve the best.  I am following you, I would like you to follow me (bobbys_vzw) and send me a direct message with your contact info.  I would love to look into your account and get you a resolution. I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

BobbyS_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
EnderFFX
Enthusiast - Level 1

Bobby - I am now following you (msg wise - need your approval).  I'd greatly appreciate any help in getting my data plan to be usable during the hours of 9am - 5pm during the weekday.  I'm not holding my breath though, everything I've read is this: If you are in the top 5% of data use and if you are grnadfathered into the unlimited data plan (<2 gig a month) your data rate gets throttled when the network gets overloaded.  4G is being added, 3G is being taken away which means anyone who has not switched to tiered, and hasn't gotten a 4G phone is going to have a non-usable plan during the hours of 9 to 5.

If my data capabilities can be fixed that would be great, I really don't want to hear excuses about the lay of the land or I'm in a bad service area considering I've had excellent bandwidth up until 3 months ago and I'm in the DC area. (I would hope you would have excellent coverage in a place with millions of customers)
If it can't be fixed I'd appreciate the honest answer of: tough - that's how we do business, upgrade to 4G or switch to tiered data or be stuck in this random bandwidth data plan.

I'd tell you what my current data speed is now for a point of comparison - but my phone can't even bring up google at the moment.

Why am I paying $200 a month again?

0 Likes