HTC Mail for Android and Gmail Issue
Irishbri

Greetings.  When using the HTC Mail App which came preinstalled with my phone I have not been able to receive or send mail from my default account (Gmail) since September. 

I get one of two different error messages in the notification Bar. 

When trying to send = "Unable to Send Mail   The account setting is incorrect"  ----when I click this the Edit Account Screen pops up.  It asks for:

Email Address

Account Name

Your Name

I type these in, hit Finish Set Up and I get a pop up that says the account settings have been saved.  But nothing changes.

I try again this time opting to click the update password box.  Hoping that once I enter my correct password for the gmail account that all will be well.  Nope...I get an "Warning: 401 Unauthorized

When trying to retrieve....I get an Alert box that Says Log In Failed.

This gmail account works perfectly fine on my PC and on the third party installed gmail app on the phone.

I can't delete the account as it was the one used upon initial set up of the phone.

The only thing I can think is that I did do a Cache wipe back around the time this issue started.  I did this because my wifes Incredible was having memory errors and I thought that I was being preemptive of the same issues with my Inc2. 

I have searched far and wide for a remedy and have had no luck.  I would really rather not have to perform a factory reset.  Please help?

0 Likes
Re: HTC Mail for Android and Gmail Issue
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Irishbri!

Email access on your device is very important! I myself use email on daily basis, so I know how frustrating it can be when your receiving error messages. Let's get this fixed. Google recently released a new verification process for Gmail accounts that allows the account to become more secure.  The process is called 2-step verification, 2- step verification allows the customer to ONLY sign into certain Gmail programs with their normal password.  Other applications requires the user to actually go onto a website to create a temporary password. You can turn off this feature http://bit.ly/SMZaWg. Once you have turned off this feature attempt to add the gmail account to the device. Keep me posted.

Thanks,
Pamelaf_vzw
Tweet us@vzwsupport

0 Likes
Irishbri

Thanks for your response.

The 2 Step Verification is not active on my gmail account ....so I can't

"turn it off"....

On Friday, January 18, 2013, Verizon Wireless Customer Support <

0 Likes
BigDogPineda

I have an HTC phone and was getting the error. I wasn't using 2-step verification either. So... I set up the 2 step verification on the Gmail account settings referenced aboved, then disabled it right away. Now it works, and I can send email. Hope this helps.

0 Likes