HTC Incredible: Hearing two tones when placing or answering every call.
mg4499

I have an HTC Incredible running Android 2.3.4, Build 4.08.  Recently, I started getting two loud tones everytime I answer or make a call.  When answering, the tones occur as soon as I click Answer and before I say hello.  When placing a call, the tones occur right after I click Call and before the phone starts ringing on the other end.  What can these tones signify, why would they have started out of the blue?  I haven't changed any Settings and I do not receive updates directly from HTC.  Frankly, given how prominent they are and they way they just started occurring for no apparent reason, these tones are suspicious to me.  Sure would appreciate hearing from someone else who has heard them and might know what's going on.

0 Likes
Re: HTC Incredible: Hearing two tones when placing or answering every call.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That would be a great bother, mg4499! This is not a known issue with the HTC Incredible. Have you tried to reset the device by powering it off and back on? Did you ever restore the device?

If the issue persists, we can look into warranty options. I am looking forward to your reply so that I can assist.

Thank you,

LenaA_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
mg4499

Yes, the unit has been powered on/off several times since these tones started - no effect. Tried changing voice privace Setting - no effect. Seems like somebody should know what these tones signify. They are two tones - loud, quick, and of ascending pitch every time I answer or place a call. As I said before, they are very suspicious to me since the started for no apparent reason. Please help me out to find answer to what they might be indicating. Thank you for getting back to me.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

mg4499, that sounds like it is really annoying. I would love to have assist further! There may be a setting that could be causing these sounds. Have you checked to make sure the emergencey tone (settings=>sound=>emergency tone) is off? Have you done a factory reset of the device?

Let me know if either of these helped! We want to make sure we get your issue resolved.

LindseyT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
mg4499

Emergency tone is Off. No Settings that would explain these tones. I would have expected to hear from at least a few Android users who either have heard them or know what they indicate. Even more suspiscious that I have not heard a "me too". I don't want to lose contacts with factory reset. If there turns out to be any adverse privacy issues related to these tones, and I eventually discover what and who is causing them, there will be very public issues for those involved.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for checking mg499. I'm sorry we're not reporting this as a known issue for the Incredible. Do you know when this started? Did you change or download any apps recently? I recommend testing the device in safe mode as the next step to rule out app conflict. http://tiny.cc/b7mt8w

JonathanK_VZW
VZW Support
Follow Us on Twitter@VZWSupport

0 Likes
mg4499

Thank you but Safe Mode restart did not eliminate the problem. I still get two tones when I place or answer a call. I cannot continue using this HTC Incredible/Verizon if nobody can tell me what these tones mean and what's causing them. Any other ideas would be appreciated. Thanks again for the suggestion. I was hopeful the Safe Mode would help to diagnose but it did not.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Safe mode did tell you one thing though. The sound issue is related to a stock pre-installed setting. It isn't associated with any third party application that you have downloaded.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for looking into that for us mg4499! I would like to have you try a master reset of your device http://vz.to/19WXLUi. Since Safe Mode did not resolve the trouble, it may be a setting within your phone that has been altered in some way. Performing a master reset will move all settings in your device back to how they were when you first pulled the phone out of the box.

Please let us know how your experience is after performing the master reset!

RuthW_VZW
Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
mg4499

I cannot risk master reset losing my calendar and contacts. I live by the calendar and it is not synced with any other program off of my Android phone. If I'm given a reliable way to move/backup ALL Past, Present, and Future Calendar events AND all Contacts, I will consider doing that and then a master reset. I cannot risk losing my calendar so backing up should be something I do regularly anway. I just haven't spent time to find the right way for me to do that. Thank you

0 Likes