HELP! "SD Card Removed" = **bleep**?
rcr484

So last night I was switching batteries on my DROID. Done it dozens of times before. This time the phone powers back up with a message on the notification bar: SD Card Removed. Looked under settings and the options for mounting or formatting the card are grayed out. I reseated the card, same thing. Switched batteries, same result. 

I took the SD card to my desktop to see if it was visible. The only message I get back is that the card needs to be formatted. I reluctantly try that, but the result is an error saying to make sure the card is really there.

What is going on? I can't imagine this two month old phone suddenly blew out a 16gb SD card.

0 Likes
Re: HELP! "SD Card Removed" = **bleep**?
PPC_Dude
Contributor - Level 2

rcr484 wrote:

So last night I was switching batteries on my DROID. Done it dozens of times before. This time the phone powers back up with a message on the notification bar: SD Card Removed. Looked under settings and the options for mounting or formatting the card are grayed out. I reseated the card, same thing. Switched batteries, same result. 

I took the SD card to my desktop to see if it was visible. The only message I get back is that the card needs to be formatted. I reluctantly try that, but the result is an error saying to make sure the card is really there.

What is going on? I can't imagine this two month old phone suddenly blew out a 16gb SD card.

You could try cleaning the contacts on the card with a pencil eraser, but it sounds to me like the card is shot.  Did you power down the phone before swapping the battery?  Could be that it got a small surge or and arc when removing the battery and that fried the card.  Just a guess though.

0 Likes
rcr484

Phone was powered down before the battery switch. Did not touch the card at that time. In fact, I've never taken card out until now.

Tried the eraser trick already. No joy.

I'm outside the one-month window now. What are my chances at getting this card replaced?

0 Likes
PPC_Dude
Contributor - Level 2

rcr484 wrote:

Phone was powered down before the battery switch. Did not touch the card at that time. In fact, I've never taken card out until now.

Tried the eraser trick already. No joy.

I'm outside the one-month window now. What are my chances at getting this card replaced?

I'd say your chances are slim, but it never hurts to try. The phone does have a warranty, I don't know if the SD card is covered though.

0 Likes
rcr484

Finally gave up and chose to dial in to VZN support. They're pointing to the SD card as the problem. Fortunately, the SD card has a completely different warranty, with the manufacturer, for FIVE years.

Currently, the VZN agent is connecting me. Glad to know I've been backing up through Wavesecure!

0 Likes