HELP please w/file management
AZSALUKI
Legend

i'm an average user. not real "techy." i do like to believe thought that i can dumb my way through most of this stuff. i use es file explorer (file management app). when i use it i can see all of the folders on my sd card, as well as the device. when i plugged in the device to use it as an external hard drive (this is the first i'm trying of this) i expected to see all of the same folders through windows explorer. the first thing i thought was odd is that the phone and the sd card show up as 2 different external drives. but whatever....the issue i have is that only a few of the folders in the phone show up. all of them from the sd card show up....but hardy any from the phone? i have my windows settings to show all folders (even hidden ones). i expected to see all of the folders on the phone? i thought i'd be able to drop and drag some files (mp3 to use for notifications...pics...etc) ANY help or advice/input is appreciated!!!!

0 Likes
Re: HELP please w/file management
elmariachi
Enthusiast - Level 3

Only files and folders below directory "/emmc" will show up in windows explorer.

You will also not be able to edit (add/delete) files to the /system/media/audio/notifications folder (or just about any folder above /emmc) . This is because you do not have administrator access (for lack of a better term) to the phone.

So, if it's that important to you, you'll have to find a way to tell the phone you're an administrator :smileywink:

Windows Explorer correctly identifies these as two separate drives. There is, after all, a built in drive as well as the swappable SDcard. :smileyhappy:

Sorry I can't be of more help.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

that helps. it's what i figured.....and you've confirmed it. i didn't know just how "open" the android OS was so i wanted to make sure i wasn't missin something. maybe i'll end up tweakin the device after all. i was hopin to be able to do a lot more to it w/o altering it in any way.

0 Likes
aibrean

I am fairly sure it's a security thing (so you don't screw up the phone's file). Do you have hidden files visible on your computer?

0 Likes
elmariachi
Enthusiast - Level 3

You need to root the phone in order to change that stuff. Regardless of files/folders hidden setting on PC, it simply won't report them because the Phone OS will not show them.

0 Likes