HELP!!! Droid X or Droid Incredible??? I'm aware of shipping date on DINC... but.....
blkhwkgrl3
Enthusiast - Level 3

Okay - so I went to my Verizon store almost 2 wks ago and spoke to the rep we had worked with in the past regarding getting rid of my BB Tour (worst BB ever IMHO!!!) and was told (quietly) to hold out until the new DX was released on 7/15.  When I got home, I checked out the DroidX and was completely enamoured with Droid and totally over Verizon even getting the iphone (gasp - esp now that I've seen how awesome android is and heard about all the problems w/ the iphone4) ~ but I also noticed the HTC Droid Incredible and seemed to like the screen and size.  So again, I went into my Verizon store to see if I could get my hands on both to see what I wanted to do.  I've been waiting VERY patiently w a crappy phone just waiting for something to come along that I'd be happy with.  I was really set to just go ahead and order my DINC but the rep I normally work with wasn't there and the mgr had referred me to another rep.  Very nice guy but really talked up the DX and I was really quite impressed.  The ONLY thing I HATE about the DX is the SIZE!!!  Now, I understand the screen itself is huge, but honestly I didn't fit into my pocket and sometimes I like to put it into my front pocket.  I also didn't like how square it was.  On the positive side thought, it is going to blow the iphone away.  

So, I guess here's my dilemma (sorry it's taken so long to get here) ~ do I go ahead and order the DINC since the size is more along the lines of what I'd be comfortable with or just say forget about the size and just get the coolest phone on the market (not to mention Motorola makes pretty good sounding phones)???  Essentially, what are the differences between the two phones?  I know DX has the HDMI, while that is a cool feature, I am not concerned about that - the DINC has the cool amoled (sp?) screen, but that seems to be what's holding up the backlog of phones.  I was told that if I ordered the DINC it would take 4-5 wks.  Can someone give me any advice?  I have small hands and the DX feels like I've stepped back into the 80's with the brick cell phone.  I can't seem to find the differences between the two phones and maybe if someone could tell me that, I could make a decision... do I wake up early to wait in line on the 15th or not????  I don't want to get the DX and then not really like it a couple months later (like the BB Tour) ~ ( I am going to also post this in the Droid X forum )

Thanks!!!

0 Likes
Re: HELP!!! Droid X or Droid Incredible??? I'm aware of shipping date on DINC... but.....
dabubbakin
Contributor - Level 3
Tell you the truth I like both. The X is cool for pushing hdmi, and recording 720p, and a few motoblur advantages that HTC didn't think of. The advantages to the dinc is is smaller, has HTC flash that helps the whole flash issue with 2.1 but will soon be resolved with 2.2 software upgrades. Rumor mill is the dinc is getting a 720p vid upgrade along with other goodies. So you see how hard this question is to answer? We can go back and forth all day on specs. When it comes down to it for me.... I like the smaller phone. That X looks like it would feel like a remote control in my pocket. Evo users have that same problem but its more like an iPad in a pocket lol. Cool phones, not for me.
0 Likes
Re: HELP!!! Droid X or Droid Incredible??? I'm aware of shipping date on DINC... but.....
Obiareus
Enthusiast - Level 3

I completely agree with dabubbakin he is right on. I went to the VZW store where i live today and compared the Dinc and the X and i had to give it to the Dinc because of the size and the fact that the only thing i like about the X over the Dinc is the 720p recording(which we will get with 2.2 whenever that is gonna be. any idea's yet dabubbakin?) and the other thing is are you available to upgrade? cause if you are try Best buy or Amazon cause they have had them in stock the last couple days and you could get yours before all of us so that could take care of the WAITING issue for you.

Hope this helps

0 Likes
Patchm00

I have a Droid (original Droid) and am testing a Sprint HTC EVO so I can comment a bit on this.

The typing on the EVO is much easier (for me) than on the Droid.  The larger display means larger keys on the virtual keyboard (I don't even use the Droid's pull out keyboard) which makes it just plain easier.  Yes I have large fingers but even my daughter found it much easier to type on the EVO.

However, there are a couple of things on the HTC device that I do not like as well as the Motorola Droid.

One of the biggest problems I have with the HTC is that you cannot have Calendar appointments be a "Silent" ringtone like you can on Droid.  You can turn off email sounds and other notifications however with Calendar there was no way to turn off the ringtone.  I think it's an oversight but have received no feedback from others on other forums. 

The HTC is also very sensitive.  If I look at it the wrong way it starts processing like it thinks I pressed some screen function.

I do like the HTC menu system better (phone menu on every screen is a "duh") and it has 7 screens (yes I know you can add more if you root the Droid or get mod).

I have also noticed that the HTC syncing of my pop accounts is not very good.  I set it to go every 10 minutes but it only syncs when I go into the email menu (exchange synching is fine).

Overall I think if you like the big screen for better display and easier typing then the DROID X will be great and do the job that the DROID does (heh) but if you like smaller form factor, I would go with the Incredible.

By the way, the difference of the CPU between the orignal DROID and the HTC/EVO (and new droids) is so noticable it's not even funny.  This thing (HTC EVO) just plain moves out (and I'm sure Incredible and X are same).

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

do you want to use it as a hot spot (wifi). that's actually the most significant advantage right now that the x has over the inc (although, once 2.2 is released, the inc "should" have that too?). if you use a laptop or other wireless devices, then you can drop a wireless card and add the feature to your phone (for $30/mo i think?). a friend of mine is getting the X for now, just because of that. he pays some other company $50/mo for a wireless card for his laptop. he's getting rid of that and is going to pay vzn's fee that will enable his X to be used as a hotspot. i like the inc. i too don't like the "bigger is better" when it comes to a device that i want to put in my pocket. the inc's screen size and resolution is plenty for me, and is the perfect size. when i wan't to watch a movie with the biggest and best screen size and audio/video, i'll sit in front of a tv in my living room..

0 Likes
punior10

I would pick the Incredible: it actually fits in your pocket, the screen is gorgeous, and HTC is awesome. Both phones have nearly the same specs, save for the HDMI out, and whatever the Incredible is missing will be matching in a new update (720p recording, mobile hotspot, awesome boot up animation...). But I wouldn't blame you if you didn't want the weeks and weeks to get an Incredible, but I have heard that it is worth the wait.

0 Likes
dabubbakin
Contributor - Level 3

My understanding is the incredible is supposed to get 720p, and hotspot eventually and it was marked to be on OTA update before 2.2 Froyo. When's it coming? Who knows but when it does this phone may not be #1, but it'll be the "sleeper" of smartphones.

Here's a link to the 720/Hotspot. (one of many links around)

0 Likes
jayjay1122
Enthusiast - Level 3

All indications point to two updates:

1. HTC update for 720p as well as some reception and call quality issues

2. 2.2 Froyo update

0 Likes
blkhwkgrl3
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you all for your help - I read everyone's comments this morning and decided to go to my Verizon store and order the incredible after all.  I made my hubby come with me because he usually gets my sloppy seconds when it comes to electronics (hehe) and he said that even with his big hands he couldn't see himself  using the DroidX, especially since he's not really a techogeek :smileyhappy:  He had a hard time adjusting to the BB Tour cuz he felt it was too big!!!  It was funny when I was in the store placing my order, the sales rep I had spent over an hour with the other night said he thought I was going to come in to order the DINC and he whispered that it's a decent phone overall (afterall he IS a salesperson right? of course he would try to sell me the best and new phone).  The manager I was speaking to before the sales guy Chris I was working with kinda made me angry because he acted like I was foolish for wanting the DINC... I am hoping that all the people that have already ordered the DINC will cancel to get their hands on the DX and make mine come in quicker :smileyvery-happy:

In regards to going to Amazon or Best Buy (our Best Buy didn't have any either) to order, I've decided that I would hold out since I've been waiting for awhile anyway.  Besides, if something was wrong with the phone or I didn't like it after all, I could go back to my VZ store and pay a restocking fee and get a different phone a lot easier than returning it to amazon. 

So like the rest of you that are waiting, I've joined your little cult... I'll be waiting patiently...  unfortunately size does matter in this case :smileywink: LOL!!!! 

0 Likes
blkhwkgrl3
Enthusiast - Level 3

I forgot to add to my previous post....  no i won't be using the phone as a hotspot, and honestly I have a FLIP HD video recorder so while the 720 video & HDMI are cool on the DROIDX, it's not a selling factor for me.  We do have an upgrade since we have 4 ppl on our account.  We pay for my mom & my aunt to have basic phones (they just need something that they can dial LOL!!!) and steal their upgrades :smileywink:  I posted a msg on my FB status asking anyone w/ android phones to tell me what they think of them and hands down they all loved theirs.  Of course a few of my iphone friends just HAD to make comments but I told them to keep their comments to themselves since I won't leave the VZ network to go to a crappy reception network!!! We've been VERY loyal VZ customers for over 8 yrs now.

Thanks again for all the input!!!! Much appreciated!!!

0 Likes