Google Sync Kills Data Connection
myvzndroidsucks

At first I think it was Backup Assistant that was killing my data connection but actually it's the 2-arrow symbol that I know think is Google Sync (see screen shot below). Whenever this shows up on my Droid Charge I lose all data and wifi connection. Even though in this screen shot it says I have 3G (I should have 4G but I'll let that be for now), you can see that my Tweet is still pending and it hasn't loaded new tweets in about 2 hours. I also have an unsent email waiting in the outbox and haven't received any new email notifications on my phone even though I have received them on my computer. No other apps requiring data connection work either. Even after turning on and off my Data connection and Wifi connection (off in the screen shot) I do not have any connectivity. How do I stop this from happening? I'm not hard-resetting my phone. This is the 4th Droid Charge I've had from Verizon because they all have some type of problem. This is extremely frustrating especially when I miss emails and app alerts for hours without realizing it.

SC20120623-113406.png

0 Likes
Re: Google Sync Kills Data Connection
jco23
Contributor - Level 3

do you have "automatically sync background data" checked under settings - accounts?

0 Likes
myvzndroidsucks

Yes... this is how emails update, notifications come through, etc.

0 Likes
jco23
Contributor - Level 3

hmmm.... I do get those sync notifications too, but I have not noticed a drop in any connection.  i'm pretty sure it is related to the auto sync for google.

you can disable auto sync and still get e-mails and notifications.  the auto sync just routinely checks your calendar, google drive, picasa web album, etc to make sure they are paired with your phone and up to date.

try disabling it for a day and see if you notice a difference (you should see a significant difference in battery life - supposedly).

0 Likes