Re: Google Play services massive battery drain
JAMSTA55

I would just like to add....AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!.  Good Lord, this is so unbelievably frustrating!!  Totally random, does not matter what settings I change, how many times I uninstall and reinstall apps.  I just noticed tonight that Google Play services is the largest app installed on my phone at 197MB, followed by Google App at 143MB.  How can that be???  Maybe if they would update the Droid Mini to a newer version of Android, it would solve the issues??

0 Likes
blahblah_gcgc
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi, I am 99% certain for "MY" battery drain, the culprit is the Verizon "Cloud". After disabling it, my G3 has been cool and NOT hot. The battery is back to normal which has been running for one and a half day.

0 Likes
bennor3814
Contributor - Level 1

JAMSTA55 wrote:

I would just like to add....AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!. Good Lord, this is so unbelievably frustrating!! Totally random, does not matter what settings I change, how many times I uninstall and reinstall apps. I just noticed tonight that Google Play services is the largest app installed on my phone at 197MB, followed by Google App at 143MB. How can that be??? Maybe if they would update the Droid Mini to a newer version of Android, it would solve the issues??

You can go into the Google Play services in the Apps section and clear the cache which should reduce the size of the program. Lots of complaints about how much space the program uses up: Google Play services - Android Apps on Google Play

Unfortunately we won't likely see a newer version of Android pushed to the phone other than security fixes: For our DROID Ultra/Maxx/Mini users on Verizon:We apologize that we will not…

It would be nice if Verizon/Motorola would unlock the Droid Mini so users could upgrade the OS themselves to potentially/possibly fix these and other kinds of issues. But that isn't likely to happen ever either.

0 Likes
blahblah_gcgc
Enthusiast - Level 3

Sorry, I was wrong. The battery drain has NOTHING to do with the cloud, I cleaned the cache for "Google App" as well as "Google play services", the problem went away. Phone is like new, battery lasts for two days. The phone has been working fine for 2 weeks.

0 Likes
bennor3814
Contributor - Level 1

Still having occasional battery drain issues. For some reason something, either an app or a core Android system file/driver is keeping the phone stuck in "Awake" mode even though the screen is off and phone is not in use which then leads to quick battery drain. Doesn't happen consistently, and because the phone cannot (easily) be rooted to install certain battery monitoring apps its hard to track down exactly what is causing these problems.

0 Likes