Re: Google Play services massive battery drain
bennor3814
Contributor - Level 1

Well the battery drain came back all of a sudden. Very <expletive> frustrating. Don't know what triggered it this time. Once again Google Services is keeping the phone awake which drains the battery. Both Data and WiFi are disabled.

DroidMini91216_1_zps2c0fwemx.jpg

DroidMini91216_2_zpsfm7ytyex.jpg

0 Likes
bennor3814
Contributor - Level 1

May or may not be related but the following URL has information on how Google Play services needs constant location info which may be leading to battery drain issues. In my case I have Location set to On but Mode set to Device Only.

Delete Google Maps? Go ahead, says Google, we'll still track you • The Register

Users have reported battery life issues with the latest Android build, with many pointing the finger at Google Play – Google's app store – and its persistent, almost obsessive need to check where you are.

Amid complaints that Google Play is always switching on GPS, it appears Google has made it impossible to prevent the app store from tracking your whereabouts unless you completely kill off location tracking for all applications.

You can try to deny Google Play access to your handheld's location by opening the Settings app and digging through Apps -> Google Play Store -> Permissions, and flipping the switch for "location." But you'll be told you can't just shut out Google Play services: you have to switch off location services for all apps if you want to block the store from knowing your whereabouts. It's all or nothing, which isn't particularly nice.

This is because Google Play services pass on your location to installed apps via an API. The store also sends your whereabouts to Google to process. Google doesn't want you to turn this off.

0 Likes
blahblah_gcgc
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi I am having the same problem. My LG G3's battery has been drained by the google play services like crazy. I HATE HATE those google "updates", never felt any benefit from those updates except problems. Can Verizon fix this issue? I have to charge my phone twice a day now. Before Oct, I can charge it once every two days.

0 Likes
blahblah_gcgc
Enthusiast - Level 3

I think it has something to do with what kind of wifi yo are connecting to. Here is my finding,

1. No issue when connecting to 4G LTE

2. My work wifi is fine

3. Xfinity wifi is fine

4. Home comcast wifi, 'google play services' drains battery like crazy

0 Likes
bennor3814
Contributor - Level 1

blahblah_gcgc wrote:

I think it has something to do with what kind of wifi yo are connecting to. Here is my finding,

It may in your case be related to what kind of WiFi signal you are connecting to. In my case it is not. As several of the screen captures I've posted to this thread in an effort to detail my battery drain issues with Google Services indicate, both WiFi and Data are turned off. Problem still exists. In most cases the Google Services app (or an app that relies on Google Services) is keeping the phone awake even when not in use which causes the battery to quickly drain and in some instances the back of the Droid Mini to become very warm (hot).

0 Likes
blahblah_gcgc
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the feedback. My next test is to connect to my home wifi which is going to cause drain and 'disable' VZ "Cloud" service. My phone started to behave strangely after mid Sept. I scanned through all the updates, VZ cloud seems the most suspicious one. Hope we can find the culprit.

0 Likes
simonkeys

Uninstalling the updates for the Google Maps app and reinstalling, as suggested in message 23 of this thread, seems to have solved the battery drain problem on my phone. I discounted this solution before, because Maps wasn't showing high battery usage on my phone. But I did see that the battery drain was related to location requests, because turning off location services entirely stopped the drain. So I thought I would give resetting Maps a try, and it seems to have worked.

I don't think the problem on my phone had anything to do with wifi.

I am still having a problem of the phone shutting off randomly a few times a day. I had thought it was related to the battery drain, because it started happening at about the same time, but maybe it isn't actually related. Is anyone else seeing that? 

0 Likes
blahblah_gcgc
Enthusiast - Level 3

Replace your battery should probably fix the random shutdown.

0 Likes
bennor3814
Contributor - Level 1

blahblah_gcgc wrote:

Replace your battery should probably fix the random shutdown.

While that is an option on some phones, to replace the battery on a Droid Mini requires disassembling basically the entire phone. Which runs the risk of damaging the phone irreparably.

How to Replace Droid Mini Battery EG30 - Full Length Video - Actual Time - YouTube

How to Replace Droid Mini Battery EG30 - Short Version - Replaces EG30, SNN59164a, SN5916a - YouTube

0 Likes
blahblah_gcgc
Enthusiast - Level 3

yes agree,thats why I always try to get a phone with replaceable battery such as this LG G3. BTW, I've got more finding about the battery drain by "google play services".

I disabled the VZ "cloud" service and connected to my home/xfinity wifi and did not see this problem last night. I will keep you posted. If I don't see any more "google play services" drain anymore, I think we can say that the VZ "clould" is the culprit at least for my case.

0 Likes