Google Account Missing
edgo

I updated to Gingerbread, and now every time I open the android marketplace it prompt me to add a account. I click on yet add an account and it does nothing just shuts down.  When I go to accounts & sync, the Google account is missing. And Google Talk is not working, have to force close every time.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Google Account Missing
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

edgo wrote:

That's what's weird, the Google account icon is no where to be found. Is there an easy why to back up all the apps, Thanks

There are some apps in the Market but they are usually paid apps.

It sounds like a factory reset in order.

There is a setting that Google have added since Froyo to restore your apps once you sign into your google account on your phone.  It doesn't seem to restore user data very well yet.

If you have a file explorer already loaded, you can backup your applications to the SD card.  I normally only use it as a reference though and re-download from the Market.  Your previously paid apps will be listed as purchased in your "My Apps" portion of the Market.  You don't have to re-purchase them.

This is my list that I just typed up again tonight for someone else. Use what you can from it to go through the steps for a factory reset.

A factory reset process that I have used in the past

1.  Backup your applications.  I will re-download from the Market, but I use this as a guide to which ones I had.  Alternately write them down on a list.  You can use a file explore from the market to backup the app to the SD card. Astro File Explorer or Estrongs are one I am familiar with.  I personally use estrongs.

2.  If the Dinc2 has an internal storage you can access copy any photos, music, etc. to the external SD card.  The file explorer above comes in handy for that.

3.  Have handy your gmail and other email account settings and passwords.  Wifi passwords if needed.

4.  Optional, I write down exactly where each of my widgets and icon are on my homescreens.  That way when you are done it looks exactly the same.

5.  I write which ringtone sound went to which app or alarms or phone ringer.

6.  I backup my SMS messages to my external SD card.  I use SMS Backup & Restore by Ritesh_Sahu.  this developer also has an app for call logs too.  If you need mms messages backed, some of the paid options have this feature.  I have neve felt the need for it yet.

7.  Any apps that have location data or other data I find a way to email it to myself for storage or write it down for quick re-adding to the app when I re-install it later.

8.  Verify your contacts are backed up somewhere.  If they are all in you gmail account, they are safe.  If not you can export them to the SD card or use Backup Assistant if you prefer.

9.  To be on the safe side, once I am ready I will power down the phone and take the SD card out.  I understand it will be safe from deletion, but I can also use this chance to copy the SD card contents to the computer.

10.  Charge the phone fully and then Power up the phone. Go into the setting where the factory option is located.

11.  Complete the factory reset and sign into your Google account.

12.  Restore your contacts.  Power down the phone at this point to put your SD card back in if you had removed it for the factory reset.

13.  download any antivirus app you might use

14.  download the SMS backup & restore.  Open and use the restore option to get you SMS messages back.  Call log too at this point.

15.  Setup my ringer tones wallpapers and brightness levels.

16.  Start adding back your email accounts, apps as you see fit.  Whichever ones are the higher priority to you.  I usually add the emails accounts first and only a couple of apps in the first day.  Then to verify there isn't a potential conflict I slowly add an app each day or two.

17.  As I add applications I will reference the notes I took of the icon locations and individual data that I would need to re-input for specific app as I re-install them.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
Can you add your Google account from the Accounts & Sync screen?

The only other option I can see working is completing a factory reset. At least there you have to go through the setup wizard,add your existing Google account and reactivate the phone.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
edgo

That's what's weird, the Google account icon is no where to be found. Is there an easy why to back up all the apps, Thanks

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

edgo wrote:

There are some apps in the Market but they are usually paid apps.

It sounds like a factory reset in order.

There is a setting that Google have added since Froyo to restore your apps once you sign into your google account on your phone.  It doesn't seem to restore user data very well yet.

If you have a file explorer already loaded, you can backup your applications to the SD card.  I normally only use it as a reference though and re-download from the Market.  Your previously paid apps will be listed as purchased in your "My Apps" portion of the Market.  You don't have to re-purchase them.

This is my list that I just typed up again tonight for someone else. Use what you can from it to go through the steps for a factory reset.

A factory reset process that I have used in the past

1.  Backup your applications.  I will re-download from the Market, but I use this as a guide to which ones I had.  Alternately write them down on a list.  You can use a file explore from the market to backup the app to the SD card. Astro File Explorer or Estrongs are one I am familiar with.  I personally use estrongs.

2.  If the Dinc2 has an internal storage you can access copy any photos, music, etc. to the external SD card.  The file explorer above comes in handy for that.

3.  Have handy your gmail and other email account settings and passwords.  Wifi passwords if needed.

4.  Optional, I write down exactly where each of my widgets and icon are on my homescreens.  That way when you are done it looks exactly the same.

5.  I write which ringtone sound went to which app or alarms or phone ringer.

6.  I backup my SMS messages to my external SD card.  I use SMS Backup & Restore by Ritesh_Sahu.  this developer also has an app for call logs too.  If you need mms messages backed, some of the paid options have this feature.  I have neve felt the need for it yet.

7.  Any apps that have location data or other data I find a way to email it to myself for storage or write it down for quick re-adding to the app when I re-install it later.

8.  Verify your contacts are backed up somewhere.  If they are all in you gmail account, they are safe.  If not you can export them to the SD card or use Backup Assistant if you prefer.

9.  To be on the safe side, once I am ready I will power down the phone and take the SD card out.  I understand it will be safe from deletion, but I can also use this chance to copy the SD card contents to the computer.

10.  Charge the phone fully and then Power up the phone. Go into the setting where the factory option is located.

11.  Complete the factory reset and sign into your Google account.

12.  Restore your contacts.  Power down the phone at this point to put your SD card back in if you had removed it for the factory reset.

13.  download any antivirus app you might use

14.  download the SMS backup & restore.  Open and use the restore option to get you SMS messages back.  Call log too at this point.

15.  Setup my ringer tones wallpapers and brightness levels.

16.  Start adding back your email accounts, apps as you see fit.  Whichever ones are the higher priority to you.  I usually add the emails accounts first and only a couple of apps in the first day.  Then to verify there isn't a potential conflict I slowly add an app each day or two.

17.  As I add applications I will reference the notes I took of the icon locations and individual data that I would need to re-input for specific app as I re-install them.

0 Likes
edgo

Thanks

0 Likes
jpmunk
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had the exact same issue last week, did the reset on the advice of Verizon Tech Support.  Now today (just a few days later) the issue happened again.

Anyone else seeing this? 

0 Likes
ChristinaB_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hi Jpmunk,

I realize the importance of being able to receive and send email from your phone reliably. I understand how frustrating this can be. I would like to ask you a couple of questions and supply you with some troubleshooting steps. 

When you spoke to Technical Support, did you do a complete master reset (all data is erased) or did you complete a soft reset (no data erased)?

Have you gone to your menu and attempted to readd the email account? I have listed the steps below. 

Press Menu

Press Settings

Press Accounts

Press Add Account

Enter in your email information

At this point, please monitor your device to ensure the email stays there. 

Your posting did not mention which model Droid you have, so I would like to let you know of a website we have that provides support. You can simply put in some keywords to locate the support tab for your device. This website is:

http://www.vzw.com/support

Please post back to let us know if this information is a successful resolution.  Thank you!

0 Likes
Mukoma

I have a droid incredible 2 (about 2 months old) and have had the same thing happen. My Google account "disappeared" for the third time now with no option to re-add it under account and sync > add account and had to do a factory reset on the last 2 occasions. NOTE: this is different from adding a GMail Account, which is not attached to the calendar, market place, etc. Resetting every two weeks is not quite what I signed up for when I upgraded my phone.

0 Likes
RogerTheobald

So...

I just had the same thing happen tonight.....suddenly my google account is gone. It doesn't show up in Accounts & Sync...if I try to add it in it says I can't because it already exists.....but I can't open Android market because I don't have an account setup......

I just updated to Gingerbread about 4 or 5 weeks ago.....and it sounds like this happens alot..

I guess a factory reset is my only option, but now I'm wondering how often I'm going to have to do that now???

is there no other option? and no fix coming for this???? I don't relish the idea of resetting my phone and loosing all the apps I currently have setup and having to reinstall ...even less the idead that I'll have to do this multiple times now that I'm updated to Gingerbread

0 Likes