Gingerbread and ICS
xsvenom

Since we will soon be getting the Gingerbread update will we also get the ICS update afterwards? Is the Charge able to run ICS or is Gingerbread the last update for the Charge? Did I get screwed buying this new phone? When I bought it at the time the Bionic was out, but I leaned toward the Charge because of the price ( CPO phone ). I hope I didn't make a mistake and should have spent the extra cash on a Bionic. :smileysad:

0 Likes
Re: Gingerbread and ICS
majael
Contributor - Level 1

xsvenom wrote:

Since we will soon be getting the Gingerbread update will we also get the ICS update afterwards? Is the Charge able to run ICS or is Gingerbread the last update for the Charge? Did I get screwed buying this new phone? When I bought it at the time the Bionic was out, but I leaned toward the Charge because of the price ( CPO phone ). I hope I didn't make a mistake and should have spent the extra cash on a Bionic. :smileysad:

You'll never catch up and stay on the leading (bleeding) edge if you aren't prepared to change phones faster than the two year contract cycles will alow you to upgrade.  Nothing I have seen or heard supports a belief that ICS will come to the Charge and the published conventional wisdom is that it won't... but that could change... just don't hold your breath for it.

As long as you can't look at something the Bionic running on ICS can do (literally touch and see, not just in theory or sales promotion) that the Charge on GB can not, you're just beating yourself up over nothing.  And if that time does come, you may also see another device that is better than the Bionic on ICS and you'll have saved the money from your Charge purchase to apply to that next device. 

0 Likes
jco23
Contributor - Level 3

exactly!

from what I have read, ICS will be upgradeable to any device that has GB.  I do know someone that is testing ICS on the Fascinate, but has noticed some bugs/issues.

now, whether or not Samsung/VZW will make that upgrade available to Charge owners is a different story.  So for the dedicated users, that will mean we'll have to perform a manual update once ICS has leaked.

0 Likes
DC5_K20Z1
Contributor - Level 3

I wouldn't count out ICS for the Charge, hardware wise it can keep up and run the software, especially since the Nexus S and Nexus S 4g will get it, they have very similiar hardware. Also, look at the Fascinate, started out on Eclair 2.1...finally got 2.2 Froyo, and today it is getting EH03 Gingerbread OTA right now, so it had 3 major OS upgrades. The Charge started off on 2.2 Froyo, is getting 2.3 Gingerbread right now, so I don't see why it won't get ICS.....it just might get ICS sometime like...late next year :smileysad:

0 Likes
HoustonHeart
Contributor - Level 2

Wiether it comes offcially depends on continued consumer use of the device, but their is a push from ggogle to update all devices within a certain period to ICS, which would include the charge.

IT will probably get it unoffcially. But offcially depends on how many switch to another phone later.

0 Likes
gabrielpina4
Enthusiast - Level 3
at the Google convention Samsung already officially said they would skip gingerbread n go straight for icecream yet they still gave us gingerbread. . SO YES PEOPLE WE ARE GETTING ICECREAM FOR SURE 100% BUT IT WOT BE EARLY CUSS WE ALL KNOW SAMSUNG BY NOW LOL IT WILL TAKE ITS TIME..
0 Likes
DC5_K20Z1
Contributor - Level 3
There we have it peeps!! ICS for the charge 100% confirmed cause gabriel said so!
0 Likes
majael
Contributor - Level 1

DC5_K20Z1 wrote:
There we have it peeps!! ICS for the charge 100% confirmed cause gabriel said so!

Yes, because we know if we can believe anything from anyone the instant they say it, it is what we hear from gabriel... :smileyvery-happy:

0 Likes
DC5_K20Z1
Contributor - Level 3
Yeaaaaaa! Thanks Gabriel :smileyhappy:
0 Likes
xsvenom

I'm just glad to know that the Charge is capable of being upgraded to the latest and greatest OS. Even though here it is Friday morning and I'm still running Froyo. Still nice to know that the phone is not that outdated. HAHAHA been waking up every morning like a kid at Christmas looking at my phone for Gingerbread. I do hope shortly afterwards that Samsung decides to update the Charge to ICS. I don't even look at these things as phones, they are like mini pc's. When I first got my Charge I was amazed at it, coming from a Black Berry Curve to a Droid. I orderd 2 CPO phones, one for me and one for my wife. I figured it would be easy for me to just learn one phone and then pass that knowledge to her. 

My BB is a work issued phone, I had a regular feature phone for personal use. When it came time to renew my contract I looked at the very slim selection of feature phones Verizon offerd. They seem to be slowly getting rid of them and pushing people to smart phones. I really do hope I made a good choice in the Charge. Happy to see they are upgrading it to a new OS and would love to see them improve it even more with ICS as long as the hardware can handle it. Now to work on a nice 32GB class 10 card, that should improve it a bit more. :smileyhappy:

0 Likes