Re: Gingerbread Update for HTC Droid Incredible
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

patm1996 wrote:

jmancil1972 - Thanks for the response. I have seen that suggestion. I will give it a try. At the same time I wonder why that process is needed to make the battery status show accurately. Can someone provide a technical explanation?

There is a file within the system called baterytstats.bin that relays your battery status to the OS, and in turn, to the user.  This file, being part of the system, gets replaced when the OS is updated.  The file then gets repopulated during use, however, if the phone is first started up on a less than full battery, this may be mistaken as 100%.  The phone uses this value to move to a trickle charge and, if it's less than true 100%, will give the appearance of decreased battery life.  That's why doing the bump charge, as mentioned above, then running all the way down (I let my phone die, the batterystats.bin file will actually cause your phone to shut off before the battery is COMPLETELY drained, preventing damage), then charge your phone all the way back to 100% without break.  If you have the ability to access the system, it is possible to delete this file and recalibrate your battery with one cycle, however, as most do not have this ability, it can take a couple times through before you see improvement in battery life.

0 Likes
wuliwong

yup, no update here either!  it's been more than 2 weeks????

0 Likes
jmancil1972
Well put demmo86rt! Has anyone heard if Verizon is any closer to a patch for the ota?
0 Likes
dimap
Contributor - Level 1

At this point, maybe Ice Cream's on the way.

0 Likes
patm1996

demmo86rt & AZSALUKI - Thanks for your advice on battery management. I am now back to "normal" battery life (which has always been one of the few weak points of the Incredible - otherwise a great phone!).

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

patm1996 wrote:

demmo86rt & AZSALUKI - Thanks for your advice on battery management. I am now back to "normal" battery life (which has always been one of the few weak points of the Incredible - otherwise a great phone!).

Glad it worked for you, this is information that should really be included in the upgrade process.  I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to not allow the install process until your battery is at 100%.

0 Likes
livinthedream68

@demmo86rt, how does one access that file? Is there something neededo do this?

Only "livinthedream68"

0 Likes
y2ktenchi

I'm still waiting for notification that the update is available, too.

This is still being pushed out, right? VZW or HTC haven't pulled it back due to another issue have they?

0 Likes
y2ktenchi

y2ktenchi wrote:

I'm still waiting for notification that the update is available, too.

This is still being pushed out, right? VZW or HTC haven't pulled it back due to another issue have they?

Just hopped over to the HTC forum for the DROID Incredible and found this post:

I have been working with a tech at HTC and they told me the update has not been released to everyone as of yet and that it is still coming in batches.  He said to give it 2 more weeks until it is showing fully released and then we can see why the update is not coming through.  Verizon shows my phone as having it but I am still on FROYO.  Do not waste your time doing a factory reset because a different tech walked me through that and it still did not work.  This is so frustrating!!!!

0 Likes
EdW_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hi Patm1996,

Doing the factory reset could help with a memory issue beyond clearing the cache and deleting the applications. If you wish to go that route to do a factory reset, please ensure you have backed up all your data and information as all your data will be deleted off the phone. However, let me give some tips that can help you with your battery life on the HTC Droid Incredible that would not require a factory reset. If you want to try these steps out before doing the factory reset, it may resolve the issue. If you still want to do the factory reset, please use to this link and pull up the device manual and refer to page 201 for these steps.

However, I hope the suggestions provided will help with the battery life issue and help avoid you needing to do a factory reset. 

Tips on helping you with the battery life: 

1. Dim the screen. The brighter your screen, the more battery power it uses. Go to Settings > Sounds & Display > Brightness to adjust brightness levels.

2. Turn off Bluetooth and Wi-Fi when not in use. The function of having access to Bluetooth or a Wi-FI connections are features that can use power when not needed with conserving the battery when needed.  

3. Turn off mobile capabilities in low-coverage areas. Weak signal areas cause your phone to work harder (and use more battery power) to find a signal. If you know you’re in a low-coverage area, turn off your mobile capabilities to save power.

4. Check email and instant messages manually. Your HTC Droid Incredible can be set to “push” notifications as soon as they arrive in the server’s mailbox, or you can check them manually. To increase battery life, turn off push and increase the intervals between when your phone checks for new messages. For maximum battery life, set your phone to check for messages manually.

5. Turn on Airplane Mode when phone is not in use. Turning on Airplane Mode when your phone is not in use will disable Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and email & instant messaging pushes all at once, dramatically saving battery power. Airplane Mode can be turned on and off by holding down the power button of your phone until the power setting options appear.

6. Download a TasKiller application. Download the TasKiller application and select “Auto Kill When Screen is Off”. This will shut down any apps on your phone while your screen is turned off. To set important apps to remain active even when the screen is off (like alarm clocks or live wallpapers), touch and hold the app in the “Running Apps” screen on TasKiller and select “Ignore”. 

0 Likes