Gingerbread Update Broke HTC Weather/Clock Widget
Midnight_Blue

This issue is being reported by other users in various forums including the HTC Support forums...

The standard HTC Clock/Weather widget on the home screen is supposed to call up the Clock app if you press on the clock in the widget. From that app you can set alarms, timers, and more. After upgrading to GB, this no longer works though I think it may have to do with running the Clock app from the App list first.

After updating to GB yesterday, I believe that I was able to use the Alarm/Clock function from the widget at least once. Since that time, I ran the Clock app from the All Apps screen and now the Widget no longer calls up the Clock App and the Clock app itself has disappeared from the App list.

I think the root of the problem is the missing Clock app. Do NOT want to factory reset to get this back. There must be another way.

For those having this problem, is your Clock app missing?

Is there a way to reinstall just the Clock app?

0 Likes
Re: Gingerbread Update Broke HTC Weather/Clock Widget
losvaldez55
Enthusiast - Level 2

If you use the search key in the lower right hand corner of the Inc 2 and type clock does it pull up anything?

0 Likes
Midnight_Blue

From the Home screem, search only pulls up Google response to the term "clock". From the Apps screen, search on "clock" produces no results. The Clock app has vanished. :smileysad:

0 Likes
losvaldez55
Enthusiast - Level 2

:smileysad:  Looks like a factory reset might be your last resort.  I'm getting tempted to do the same myself.  Now my gtalk app keeps dropping and logging off on its own. Really frustrating and annoying.  :smileymad:

0 Likes
lahayed

You can do the factory reset, but then your phone is going to automatically update to the new Gingerbread again.  We are pretty much stuck until the designers pull their heads out of their butts and fix it.

0 Likes
Midnight_Blue

You sure about that? I thought the GB update was a firmware update and if so a factory reset would not remove the update. Same as doing a BIOS update on your PC, no?

0 Likes
losvaldez55
Enthusiast - Level 2

Unbelievable!  I set the alarm and go to bed.  Wake up on my own.  Look at the phone.  No alarm and now I can't access the alarm screen!  How is this possible!  It worked fine yesterday,  :smileymad:  I am getting extremely annoyed with this phone.

0 Likes
Midnight_Blue

I may be on to something here regarding the broken Clock/Alarm app...

Go to Setting > Applications > Manage Applications > All and scroll down to the "Clock" app. On my DINC2 w/GB, the Clock app is grayed out whereas the other apps are all listed in bright bold white. I checked the entire list and ONLY "Clock" and "CityID" are grayed out like this. There must be a connection, no?

0 Likes
Midnight_Blue

More info:

This is what my DINC2 reports for the Clock app:

version 1.00.000.081006.605
Storage 0.00B (for all three Total, Application, Data)
Cache 0.00B
Launch by default- no defaults set

Another user on another forum whose clock app still functions reports that his cache is also zero, but his storage is different for all three, total being 596KB (app 420KB, Data 176KB).

It looks like the clock app just isn't there for some reason.

0 Likes
losvaldez55
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had to do a factory data reset.  The clock app is back  My info under applications is as follows

Storage

Total - 92.00 KB

App - 0.0 KB

Date - 92.KB

Cache 0.00B

The only other  things I messed around with last night were skins under Personalize and the Dock app.  I don't know if that those have anything to do with the the clock app disappearing.   

My talk app seems to be working ok again but it is still too soon to tell overall how the phone will hold up.  A factory data reset might not be the answer even though it will be suggested by VZW support.  The signal reception has to be a hardware problem as that seems to be unchanged.  I continuously get an error on the Market saying that I do not have a connection!  :smileymad:

0 Likes