Re: Gingerbread Changes / Issues
vereyezuhn
Master - Level 3

Cody21 wrote:

"Now just to figure out how to get Handcent to work"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Someone over on the other forum suggested that if you get a POP-UP in Handcent and the screen is not Locked/blank, that the LED does appear for a second but goes away.  They suggest you try changing your Handcent settings to NOT "pop-up", or "display when screen locked", etc...   check your "Pop-up" settings.

I don't have the pop-up option enabled. I also double checked my settings on the stock app and made sure the 2 apps aren't contradicting eachother, and they aren't.

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Wildman wrote:
I am really starting to think the button issue is do to the light sensor, I think it is suppose to come on in curtian levels of light....   I noticed if I have the phone sitting on its dock which is located directly under lamp the lights on buttons do not come on when I wake phone but when I oull it out of m pocket and wake it up it seems to work.

This is a guess but from what I seen so far it seems like a possible explaination....  Ill have to experiment more to know for sure.

Yes, you are correct (at least when using auto-brightness), the back lighting on the keys turns on/off at the lower ambient light levels.  Not totally positive if it's the same for the keys when using a set brightness or not, but the reasoning seems to be that you can see the markings on the keys well enough in brighter light conditions, whereas when it gets darker, the backlight will help you see which is which.

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Cody21 wrote:

"Now just to figure out how to get Handcent to work"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Someone over on the other forum suggested that if you get a POP-UP in Handcent and the screen is not Locked/blank, that the LED does appear for a second but goes away.  They suggest you try changing your Handcent settings to NOT "pop-up", or "display when screen locked", etc...   check your "Pop-up" settings.

New Handcent update in the market, I noticed under their change log "Fix LED support for Droidx 2.3.3 update"

0 Likes
hallcp1019
Contributor - Level 2

am i the only one that thinks the buttons are much brighter than before ?

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

hallcp1019 wrote:

am i the only one that thinks the buttons are much brighter than before ?

No, you are correct, this has been reported since the first beta pushed version...  There was a few suggestions to resolve but there wasnt a solution was ever found.

0 Likes
hallcp1019
Contributor - Level 2

i dont mind it i usually tap the sleep button after i finish anyway so its not draining my battery too much i like have the profiles feature but seems they could have done more with it or just gave us 21 home screens on one profile lol with the option to add as needed

0 Likes
Droiddudeaz
Enthusiast - Level 2
I like the brighter buttons. My DX just updated 8 apps at the same time. The OS seems pretty stable. I 've had 2 random reboots but I attribute to the new update, getting settled in, lol.
0 Likes
marcuseyre

Well, so far I have 2 complaints with the update. First, how come we still have the Eclair Gallery? My wife's Fascinate, still on stock 2.2 has the Froyo Gallery, but my DroidX still has the same, lame, old Eclair version on it. Second, I've found that putting the phone in the Motorola desk dock, which activates the media mode or whatever, anyway, it rotates to landscape, great. But when I pull it out and hold it in portrait, the wallpaper is now cut off at the top and bottom where it was when it was in landscape. If I go in and change the wallpaper, the "cropping" border is wrong too, so it doesn't fix if I change the wallpaper. If I set a Live wallpaper or reset the phone, it does reset the wallpaper, and then I can put it back to a normal picture.

Other than that, I'm happy with the upgrade, though the battery doesn't seem to last as long as it did before...

0 Likes
Runestyr
Enthusiast - Level 3

I got my 2.3.3 update this morning!  Here are my inital reactions, comments, gripes and (for those who have not yet installed it) warnings.

* Why did we have to wait so long?  Didn't 2.3.3 fix security issues? 

There are many interface changes.  Below are just the ones that confused me, but the changes are so pervasive that most of the DroidX user manual needs a rewrite.  I would have liked a pop-up window during the update that said, "while you're waiting for the download, would you like to see what has changed?".  Even better would be for the "Tips and Tricks" widget to be pre-populated with such information (instead of being quiet all this week).  Let us remember that "terribly mysterious" is not a super-power.

* The new color scheme is not appealing to me, but that's just opinion. The relevant fact is that some apps that used to have grey-on-black buttons now have grey-on-grey buttons that are hard to read.  Do the devs have to update their apps, or is there a way to change the color scheme?

* The 3 persistent softkeys have been replaced by 4 configurable tiles.  The configurability is good, but wasn't obvious.  

* The App Tray button ("up arrow") has a different look and moved to the far right.

* When I slide left and right to see my 7 screens, the "shortcut" dots that let me jump to any screen are gone. Now if you want to jump to a particular screen, you have to press the Home button when you are already in the home screen (or press it twice), and you get 7 mini-screens that act as buttons to make the jump.  I like it, but would have preferred a tip to explain it.

* The "trash can," used to remove tiles when customizing the screens, moved from the bottom to the top, got a lot smaller, and is a banner instead of a tile. 

* The status indicator for "vibrate mode" was an obvious "phone with zig-zag," now it's a cryptic "3 zig-zags." 

It's a bit early to comment on performance or stability.  My battery life seems degraded but that was probably because I spent so much time trying to make the phone do things I used to know how to do.  A bunch of apps needed updating, which I figure is a good thing.

Oh and while I'm complaining Smiley Happy the Verison forums are setting off alarms in my new high-security browser.  The most notable alarm was that the login process uses cross-site scripting.  I had to use a low-security browser to successfully log in and post.

0 Likes
vereyezuhn
Master - Level 3

Runestyr wrote:

I got my 2.3.3 update this morning!  Here are my inital reactions, comments, gripes and (for those who have not yet installed it) warnings.

* Why did we have to wait so long?  Didn't 2.3.3 fix security issues? 

There are many interface changes.  Below are just the ones that confused me, but the changes are so pervasive that most of the DroidX user manual needs a rewrite.  I would have liked a pop-up window during the update that said, "while you're waiting for the download, would you like to see what has changed?".  Even better would be for the "Tips and Tricks" widget to be pre-populated with such information (instead of being quiet all this week).  Let us remember that "terribly mysterious" is not a super-power.

* The new color scheme is not appealing to me, but that's just opinion. The relevant fact is that some apps that used to have grey-on-black buttons now have grey-on-grey buttons that are hard to read.  Do the devs have to update their apps, or is there a way to change the color scheme?

* The 3 persistent softkeys have been replaced by 4 configurable tiles.  The configurability is good, but wasn't obvious.  

* The App Tray button ("up arrow") has a different look and moved to the far right.

* When I slide left and right to see my 7 screens, the "shortcut" dots that let me jump to any screen are gone. Now if you want to jump to a particular screen, you have to press the Home button when you are already in the home screen (or press it twice), and you get 7 mini-screens that act as buttons to make the jump.  I like it, but would have preferred a tip to explain it.

* The "trash can," used to remove tiles when customizing the screens, moved from the bottom to the top, got a lot smaller, and is a banner instead of a tile. 

* The status indicator for "vibrate mode" was an obvious "phone with zig-zag," now it's a cryptic "3 zig-zags." 

It's a bit early to comment on performance or stability.  My battery life seems degraded but that was probably because I spent so much time trying to make the phone do things I used to know how to do.  A bunch of apps needed updating, which I figure is a good thing.

Oh and while I'm complaining Smiley Happy the Verison forums are setting off alarms in my new high-security browser.  The most notable alarm was that the login process uses cross-site scripting.  I had to use a low-security browser to successfully log in and post.

These are all completely personal opinion. I, for one, love the new colors and layout of everything. The dark status bar blends perfectly with my wallpaper. The 4 icons on the bottom can easily be changed to anything you want (well, 3 of them can) and it helps me de-clutter my apps on my home screen. I can just make the 3 I use the most the 3 on the very bottom. I personally like the indicator for vibrate mode, the old one was hard for me to see. I also like the fact that the dots don't appear anymore when scrolling through the 7 screens - the mini screens are much easier. Those dots and the red home icon drove me crazy - probably because I kept accidentally sliding to a new screen and the dots took forever to disappear. The new app tray icon still fools me, I'll admit I'm not used to it quite yet - the placement or look of it. The new trashcan placement doesn't bother me at all, it's still just as easy to drag and drop things into it. The color scheme of the menus isn't my favorite, I don't like the "light" themes. I prefer the old dark ones much better. My battery is also going a lot faster, though it's not that big of a deal. That's just my opinion, though.

0 Likes