Gingerbread Bricked my Droid X
thejkaz

Yesterday I downloaded and installed the Gingerbread update but something is wrong. The phone wont turn on nor will it boot to the factory reset menu. The red M randomly pops up but then it goes away again, any advise

Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Gingerbread Bricked my Droid X
rcschnoor
Legend

Tonicart wrote:

Thanks Cody for your help, but I just got off the phone with VZW tech support. They'll send me a replacement phone, but since we use this phone for business, I had to have it overnighted for ~$13. Standard 5-day shipping is free.

So I'm out of a phone for 2 days, out $13, getting a refurb'd phone instead of my pristine new one,  and wasted a couple hours of my workday trying to fix this. Talk about adding insult to injury.

Wish you could just walk into any Verizon and have them flash the phone to its factory state. :smileysad:  Is that too much to ask?

Is this your 1st Verizon phone, or do you have an old Verizon phone from when you upgraded to the Droid X? If you have your old phone, you can have it activated on your line to be used until you receive the replacement back from Verizon.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

Did the phone actually WORK at some point after you installed it?  Did it have sufficient power - e.g., plugged in to wall charger during update? did you let it wait long enough during the install? Reason I ask is there is a long "pause" on the red MOTO logo during the install. If you interrupted that, all bets are off.

Are you using THESE procedures to get to the Power-up MENU ?  If so, from there you can try the Factory Wipe & Reset. Else time to go to the Verizon store and have them reset it.

Power Device Off First.....

1. Hold Home Button and press power

2. Screen will show a Android with a triangle with astrick

3. Let Go of Home Button and Power

4. Press BOTH up & down volume buttons at same time

5. A blue menu will show at top of page, using volume control buttons, scroll to Format Device and press the Power button to select

6. Select Yes to verify

7. Allow format to complete (Information at bottom of page will go through a few steps)

8. Once Format is complete Blue Menu will show at top again, select Reboot

Note: Use volume up and down to select menu otion and use Power button as Enter

0 Likes
thejkaz

No the phone has done nothng since I started the update. It never completed the install it just sits and occasionally flashes the Motorola simbol. Yes it was plugged into the multimedia dock while updating and I cannot get the the screen with the triangle and android guy. Nothing happens when I hold the power and home buttons.

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

You've done the obvious "battery remove and reinsert after 5 mins." right?  After that, head to Verizon.

edit:   PS - you were NEVER Rooted, right?

0 Likes
Tonicart

I'm having the same issue with my dad's Droid X. He handed it to me this morning and when I turn it on, it just displays the white M logo and doesn't change from that unless I pull the battery out.

I tried holding HOME + POWER for over 30 seconds, didn't do anything. Tried CAMERA + VOL DOWN + POWER for kicks, and the bootloader 30.04 came up, but no options to do anything. Tried plugging in my USB cable to my PC, the bootloader recognized it but it doesn't do anything.

Tried leaving the battery/SD card out for 5-10 mins, still getting the white M logo. Not sure if an OS update was pushed to this phone last night, but I'm highly suspecting that.

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

The White MOTO Logo suggests to me that you're still running FROYO.  Else it would be RED.  Also, the method to manipulate the Menus for the HOME + POWER boot up is different in FROYO.  And to ask again, you ALSO did NOT root the phone prior to all this, right?

Froyo - to get to Power-up Menu

Power Device Off First.....

1. Hold Home Button and press power

2. Screen will show a Android with a triangle with astrick

3. Let Go of Home Button and Power

4. Press Search Button (Far Left Button)

5. A blue menu will show at top of page, scroll to whichever funciton you wish

6. Select Yes to verify (if prompted)

7. Allow function to complete 

8. Once complete, the Blue Menu will show at top again, select Reboot

Note: Use volume up and down to select opinion and use camera button as Enter,,,

0 Likes
Tonicart

Thanks Cody, but no, this phone has not been tampered with at all. Just a vanilla stock DroidX as used by my dad :smileyhappy:

I've tried all button combinations I could think of, including HOME + POWER. I never get the blue triangle screen :smileysad:

Should I take this back to the Verizon store?

0 Likes
thejkaz

I did the battery removal and no I have made no mods to the system including rooting

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

When the system intually went to the M after update how long did you wait before you shut off device because a number of users power device off because they believed it stayed on M to long but it can take a few minutes before the device goes past M because the system has to build a revised cache.

Sounds like battery may have died, what happens when you plug phone in wall, do you get the charge light on top of device?

0 Likes
thejkaz
The phone sat for more than an hour. when I plug the phone in the charge light does come on
0 Likes