Getting poor call quality with 2 droids
snorkel

Hi,

My wife and I each have a droid, and we love the phones, except we are noticing some really poor call quailty with

poor signal strength and some serious echoing going on.

I tried the *228 option 2 trick and it makes no difference.

I don't get decent signal strength any place indoors, in my wood framed house it's really bad, but if I step out on the front porch I get full bars.  I have also noticed if I lay the phone down I get 3 or 4 bars then as soon as I pick it up they disappear and the call quality is really bad,

I do not have the privacy or the hearing aid stuff enabled. It has to be the phone because i know other verizon users and they don't have these quality or echo issues.

I had nokia phones on AT&T and the were significantly better in the call quality area than two droids we have.

I am wondering if the first batch of 250,000 phones they made are riddled with hardware issues that are causing all these problems.

0 Likes
Re: Getting poor call quality with 2 droids
colfrmb

Where I live, Verizon has much better coverage than ATT and I switched from ATT years ago.  My droid had similar issues as yours.  With my droid I was getting bad reception in places I never had a problem before with my 3 YO flip phone.  And in places where I used to have choppy signal, the droid just gave  up and killed calls.   After a couple of days and several *228's, the  reception got better although it would still kill calls.  I would say 75% improvement.   I am having issues with my camera too & I don't like the email or the physical keyboard. 

It's a phone!  If I wanted a PDA... well, I take my laptop everywhere anyway.   For the Porsche Cayman of the phone industry, I don't think the Droid technology is stable enough yet.  So...since for me it was supposed to be a phone first and I couldn't trust it to be a phone for me, I returned it yesterday.  I have hope for the future of smart phones.   But these new machines are PDA's with a phone feature thrown in as an accessory.   I need a phone first and then the fun stuff.  It wasn't worth the extra $40/month plus the $250 for the phone and accessories. I'm waiting for a better droid. 

0 Likes
cem95z
Contributor - Level 1

When you returned it because of poor quality/defective phone, did they still charge you the $35 restock fee?

0 Likes
colfrmb

I focused on the camera issues (pun intended).  I never asked about the restocking fee, didn't want to bring it up.  Quite frankly, I thought that if they wanted to charge me for restocking, it wouldn't be unfair since I have been playing with it for a week.   But I just checked my receipt and I did not have to pay for restocking.

0 Likes
snorkel

So did the voice signal strength get better with the new Droids?

0 Likes
pedja

I am on my second droid right now, both have been having bad signal quality/reception issues.  I had 'Storm I' before and never had these issues.  I am about to go back to the store and request the change to a third one or get something else.

0 Likes