GPS Not Working!!!
ZMmom

Help - GPS stopped working on my Droid X.  My husband has the same phone (got them both at the same time) and he is not having an issue..  We haven't had the phones very long - the first time I used it  I had no problem.  The second time I got a lock but lost it 5 mintues later and then was unable to get a lock again.  Tried to use again 3 days ago and same thing I got a lock for 5 mintues and lost it.  Now I have nothing and I have even let it "search" until it timed out.  Yes I was outside!  I have tried everything from turning off and on, removing battery, uninstalling updates, clearing cache and files, turning on wifi.  The weird thing (to me anyway :womanwink:) is that it is able to detect my location.  I can get directions but no navigation.  I have even tried to download other nav apps like Mapquest and Telenav but to no avail.  I am pretty frustrated as one of the features I use often is the navigation.  I had an original Droid and had absolutely no issues.  Please help - I really need to get this fixed!

0 Likes
Re: GPS Not Working!!!
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
Not sure if this is going to help or not.

Download an application called "GPS Test" from the Market. Run and see what satellites you are connecting to. Then see if the Maps will find your location and navigation works.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
ZMmom

Sorry I didn't realize there was already a post on this topic - I was just reading through and found this post : 

Copper Contributor

Using the GPS Test app, i have discovered something amazing.

Pushing on my battery door, OR removing it completely INSTANTLY causes the GPS to work.

WOW.

I'm using the stock battery and battery door.

There is also a little copper thing on the left side inside. I've found that if I use a paper clip to depress it (with the door off) it shuts off the GPS. If I release it again, the GPS works. It appears that by fiddling with it a little bit (the copper thing) I have corrected it to a point where putting the door back on does not cause it to shut off. So I guess it is "fixed" for now in my case.

I tried the "door" thing before trying anything else and low and behold as crazy as it seems the door is the problem!  It is depressing the copper pin on the left upper hand side and causes the GPS to loose the signal.  If I place the door on without locking it in it is fine but once I snap the door all the way into place - signal is gone!  I ran my finger over the pin and it is slightly higher then the surface also after inspecting the door I see there is a scratch mark the size of the pin on the inside of the back cover!  So What NOW????   

0 Likes
B33
Legend

ZMmom wrote:

Sorry I didn't realize there was already a post on this topic - I was just reading through and found this post : 

Do you have a regular battery in your X or extended life eather way you should be able to get it replaced. call moto's customer service line tell them of the issue your having with you X they may send you one free of charge. Or you could do this first go to your local store show them the issue you've got with your X an see if they have an Xtra cover that you can buy or they may possibly give you one because of your situation. good luck an i hope they can get your X fixed for ya!  B33 

0 Likes
DroidDog
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have been looking for weeks for an answer for the same issues.
The copper pin has ground a scratch in the battery cover door.  The scratch causes a short circuit and kills
the GPS radio. My dirty fix was to tape a piece of paper over the scratched
spot on the cover door and the problem was solved. No one on the Internet in
any forum knows this, so I hope that they see this post. I will add this advice
everywhere I can because I love my Droid and did not want to replace it.

0 Likes
DroidDog
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have been looking for weeks for an answer for the same issues.
The copper pin has ground a scratch in the battery cover door.  The scratch causes a short circuit and kills
the GPS radio. My dirty fix was to tape a piece of paper over the scratched
spot on the cover door and the problem was solved. No one on the Internet in
any forum knows this, so I hope that they see this post. I will add this advice
everywhere I can because I love my Droid and did not want to replace it.

0 Likes
TamaraH_VZW
Verizon Employee

DroidDog & ZMmom

Thanks so much for the information you have provided. 

I never knew of the GPS not working if there was an issue with the battery door.

I am forwarding this information on right now. 

I love it how we can all come together to get a resolution.

Thanks again!

0 Likes
sullydrdx

I was experiencing this problem to the point where I could seldom get a GPS location at all.  After taking off the battery cover the GPS responded immediately and accurately.

The fix is as described: take a piece of tape and put it over the scratch that is in the cover from the GPS antenna.  DONE!

2012-03-13_09-39-01_913.jpg

0 Likes