Re: Froyo on Incredible ruined the phone
AZSALUKI
Legend

i agree with budone and bbisbee. yes....there are some people with legitimate issues (just like there were some with issues when they got a BRAND NEW device running 2.1). however, many apps were not even written and still have not been updated to work with 2.2. is it possible that any of you are using an app that could be causing these problems? there are downsides to being part of such an "open" environment, along with the upsides. just an observation.....but most of these threads concerning WORSE battery life than before, are by users with task killers. so i really don't care if you agree or not. just read through all of the threads and see if you notice a common theme.

0 Likes
w40d1n1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I think this issue comes down to this:  There are ppl here who are power users and are expecting the dinc to hold up well, and then there are ppl who just receive txt/email and possible do a wee bit of internet browsing.   I fall in the first group, I use powerful apps like Sirius, YouTube, multiple browser pages open at the same time, corp email w/ big attachments, PDFs, gmail, MMS/SMS, weather.com, Scanner Pro, TV.com and occasionally uploading videos and using the FM Radio.   My battery life is horrible, chiefly because i use the phone non-stop (although I am writing this one post on my laptop).  I'm pretty sure I could make the battery last 48 hours, but to do that I would have to put the phone down...and I didn't sign up for the phone to just let it lay around.   My past phones (blackberries, iphone 3gs, various moto and nokias) never had problems with battery life, but then again they didn't do 720p and Youtube...let alone Scanner Pro and FM Radio..   In short, my expectations were that an incredible smartphone could hold it's own weight, without the constant need for a power adapter.   I was wrong.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

i'd agree with that as well. i figure there is a trade off for everything in life. and the trade off for having a device that can do many things that no other device can, is the battery life. i'm pretty sure that if you look around, EVERY android device's biggest shortfall is the battery life. i get a full day, but i am a moderate user. if i actually use it for more thatn 2-3 hours, it will go dead. i guess though, that i don't expect to be able to watch a movie and still be able to have a few hours left to do other things as well....on a phone. i know some HEAVY users that get a full day (with the type of use you are talking about) off the seido 3500 (or whatever their biggest battery is). i'd prolly get 3 days off of one of those, but i HATE the size. i'd rather have to charge every night and keep my phone slim. and you see the future of these things (dual core and even more speed, etc...coming within the next year).....i think these manufactures are going to HAVE TO find a way to improve the life. a dual core processor will be of no use to me if it decreases the already poor life even more so. i think we are basically expecting to get the type of power that yo can get on a laptop...in the size of our hand. and they just can't do that yet. i guess the only upside is that it's real easy to keep a spare and replace it if you really need to (unlike iphone, but the iphone gets way more life).

0 Likes
saperryrn
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok guys...so I have been researching the above issue for a while and tried the following:

I uninstalled the Advanced Task Killer and removed my Battery lite widget.  I then rebooted my phone (not a factory reset).  I charged my phone over night and took it off the charger at 0600am before I went to work.  I used my phone just like I normally do and by 700pm I still had 70% battery life...that's 13 hours later.  Before 2.2, I was always killing apps and most of them stayed killed, but not all.  With 2.2, I was killing them every 5 minutes, which is absolutely ridiculous.  Now, I don't bother to look what is running and don't care as long as my phone is lasting all day.  My battery life has been fine since I did that.  I know it's hard to believe, but this is coming from someone that was an avid Task Killer.  All ATK will do is give you anxiety about all the tasks that are running, so uninstall it and do what I did...I have told this to a few people that I work with also and it worked for them.  Try it, what do you have to lose.  

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

glad it's workin for you. that's exactly what i did. i too ran ATK from the day i bought it 4 months ago....and uninstalled it a day or 2 after i got 2.2

0 Likes