Froyo on Incredible ruined the phone
saperryrn
Enthusiast - Level 2

Froyo is horrible.  It hasn't made my phone any faster. As a matter-of-fact, it takes forever to charge now versus the hour it took before Froyo.  It has decreased battery life by about 50%.  I feel like I'm constantly charging it.  I loved my Incredible before Froyo...now I can't stand it.  It has added **bleep** apps that I don't care about, yet it won't allow me to uninstall them...I don't want skype or any of the other **bleep** apps, why are they being forced upon me???  Please give people an option to uninstall Froyo and reinstall Android 2.1, which ran smoothly!!!  I don't care what anyone says, but ATK made my phone last all day with moderate use...now it won't allow you to kill any apps.  Before Froyo, I trialed it on 2.1 and found that I had to charge my phone twice during the day, versus once at night with ATK.  Now with Froyo...it has truly screwed the battery life up and I definitely don't think it runs as smooth as the good ole 2.1.  PLEASE VERIZON...do something about this...Froyo is ruining an awesome phone. We had to wait so long only to be highly disappointed.   

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Froyo on Incredible ruined the phone
saperryrn
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok guys...so I have been researching the above issue for a while and tried the following:

I uninstalled the Advanced Task Killer and removed my Battery lite widget.  I then rebooted my phone (not a factory reset).  I charged my phone over night and took it off the charger at 0600am before I went to work.  I used my phone just like I normally do and by 700pm I still had 70% battery life...that's 13 hours later.  Before 2.2, I was always killing apps and most of them stayed killed, but not all.  With 2.2, I was killing them every 5 minutes, which is absolutely ridiculous.  Now, I don't bother to look what is running and don't care as long as my phone is lasting all day.  My battery life has been fine since I did that.  I know it's hard to believe, but this is coming from someone that was an avid Task Killer.  All ATK will do is give you anxiety about all the tasks that are running, so uninstall it and do what I did...I have told this to a few people that I work with also and it worked for them.  Try it, what do you have to lose.  

View solution in original post

0 Likes
andersnj

2.2 sucks.  This phone has no battery life anymore.  All of the crappy apps like skype, amazon mp3, city id, news and weather, and VZ navigator are constantly running.  ATK cannot kill any of them and you can't uninstall any native apps unless you root the phone.

FIX THIS NOW VERIZON.

This phone was great for the first month I had it.  Why do you have to mess with a good thing Verizon.  I waited a long time for a decent smart phone from you and now you throw it all away. 

I plan on calling in and yelling at tech support as soon as I can.  I encourage everyone to do the same.

0 Likes
w40d1n1
Enthusiast - Level 3
Agreed. VZ (they forced it on us) really screwed this one up.
0 Likes
Jamie1430

I agree. Do we have any choices in the matter? All the apps they added that are always running, we could have downloaded from the app store, had we used them. Can we go back to 2.1?

0 Likes
Chillenout

I'm having the same battery issues/unwanted apps that everyone else is having. GOD, how I NOW I hate this phone.

You have every right to complain about the crappy update but yelling at the clueless CSR will accomplish absolutely nothing.

You need to make your complaint to someone higher than the CSR's, or their supervisors, or the supervisors boss. 

You need to send an email to the Executive Offices like I did. 

In your email tell them what's happened to your phone since the update. 

Also, you'll get more accomplished if you stay calm when dealing with them, so don't go off on them right off the bat. 

Give them a chance to correct the problem....if they're not responsive to your concerns then  by all means get **bleep** off....

Advise them you're going to contact the FCC, PUC, BBB, Consumer Affairs, State Attorney Generals Office for your state and any other regulatory agency you can think of if they don't do something to correct the known issues. 

Who you need to send the mails to are the CEO of Verizon wireless & the Region President for your area. 

Here's the link for the email addresses: 

http://aboutus.vzw.com/leadership/executive/index.html

Click on CEO Lowell Mc Adams profile and at the bottom of the page is a link to contact him. 
In the red box on the left is a link for the Region President for your area. Do the same thing to send them an email.
Send the same exact email to both of them.
It's a good idea to save the email you send them too. 
I sent an email to both of them late Friday afternoon, and since the Executive Offices are closed Monday (Holiday), I'm not expecting a response back from them till the end of the week. 
Oh, if they don't get back to you in a timely manner, keep hounding them and hounding. 
If you do end up needing to hound them, include the original email you sent to them.
One last thing. Verizon HATES complaints to the Executive
Offices, so the more people who email them with legitimate complaints about this FUBAR  update the better. 

0 Likes
w_blackwell

My first Incredible came brand new and the 3G didn't work. Phone #2 came and worked fine, after the Froyo update phone totally crashed...wouldn't turn on at all. Wouldn't charge, or turn on while plugged in either. Finally turned on 9 hours later, with 2% battery power, ALL CONTACTS HAD BEEN ERASED AND ALL APPS NOT WORKING. Verizon claims to have no idea there's a problem. Bull**bleep**. On phone #3 now, working fine WITHOUT the Froyo. But I keep getting the prompts to download it. No opt out option, but just to delay the download....I DON'T WANT IT.

0 Likes
infiltwb

pull atk off and your battery life will get MUCh better.

Froyo will be fighting w/ ATK all day for control of memory allocation. 

Aside from that HTC has always had low battery life.

After a new OS is flahed the phone needs to resync contacts with google. Make sure all your contacts are google contacts and they will be downloaded. Phone contacts will not be restored iirc.

0 Likes
spidey81

Why does everyone keep saying to get rid of ATK?  If you use it to force close apps and don't use it to auto close them you won't have a problem with it.  After boot I use it to successfully close most of the apps that I don't want.  

I do think that the battery life has diminished since 2.2 as well as the entire stability of the phone itself however.  There are definitely issues with this update.  There is an issue with 3G connectivity that is very troublesome, but can be worked around by engaging then disengaging airplane mode.  I shouldn't have to do that though.

Hopefully with enough complaining to VZW and HTC we will see these issues addressed.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

infiltwb wrote:

pull atk off and your battery life will get MUCh better.

Froyo will be fighting w/ ATK all day for control of memory allocation. 

Save your breath. The newbs on here don't listen. In their world they are right and shame on us for even offering suggestions. They like to hear themselves rant.

0 Likes
bbisbee

Uninstall your task kills/ reboot the phone and it should work fine, thats what I did, the phone is as good as ever and battery life is way better than on 2.1.

0 Likes