Re: * For those that got their 2.3.6 update * What do you think? Pros & Cons
Tidbits
Legend
This the court ruling back in 1998 and the reasons the prorated termination fees happened.
0 Likes
alannn
Contributor
Device: Samsung Charge
Plan: 450 minutes/unlimite

I am now unable to tether my charge to my desktop computer for my internet connection. Think it relates to the Samsung Media Center app?

I have 2 Droid Charges. The ability to tether with a usb cable was lost on the one that got the Gingerbread update. I am paying extra every month for the Mobile Hotspot which used to include usb tethering. I called Verison Wireless support and they had no knowledge ot this change in the phone's OS. Of course they referrred me to Samsung support to find out about the update issues. Samsung support  told me they think ability for usb tethering was taken out on Verizon Wireless request due to unauthorized tethering problems.  The phone still allows the selection with the orange check-mark showing the phone is tethered, but it no longer works on the pc.

Biggest problem is that while the usb tethered connection would keep a connection all day if needed, the Wifi connection gets dropped regularly. The phone is a foot from the PC and it sure was nice using the usb cable. Here I am with 2 year commitment, and functionality being intentionally removed by Verizon Wireless. This should be illegal. I suppose I now need to route my phone to get this function back.

0 Likes
angelsix
Enthusiast - Level 2

Have found no benefit from the update.  I was happy with my Gummycharged Froyo, but Verizon sent me several message a day demanding I update, so I did (resentfully).

Just found out there's a bug, making the LED crash & restart the phones.  Maybe the Gingerbread figured out how to boost the current to the LED, without understanding what that would do.  See thread at:

http://community.vzw.com/t5/DROID-Charge-by-Samsung/Camera-flash-kills-shuts-down-and-locks-up-Droid...

0 Likes
svzurich
Enthusiast - Level 3

Overall the phone is better than ever in most ways.  I only have one issue now that I never had under Froyo: Hotboots.

Basically, I can install and run everything just fine.  Then eventually I'll reboot and the phone will enter into a hotboot loop.  That is where it will boot up, run for a few minutes and load everything, the shut the screen off while the hardware buttons remain lit, dump the data, and boot back up.  It doesn't go back to the Samsung lable, it just skips that complete down and up step.

This morning it was running great.  I had factory reset to clear the last set of hotboots, spent two days reinstalling apps and data (Comics by Comixology has DRM that won't recognize the 7.5 gb on the SD card when reinstalled, takes forever to download again over wifi), and then had hotboots return after installing ADW Launcher which went away after removing it.  Life was good.  I could power off and on again without issue.

Then I remembered that I had not reinstalled the Amazon shopping app.  I added it, Amazon Mobile, Amazon MP3, Amazon Pricewatch, and Amazon Student.  Fine.  Rebooted, and now in a hotboot loop.

Managed to uninstall all of them over several boots.  Took out battery, sim, and sd card.  Reinstalled cards and battery, problem continues.  About to factory reset again.  :smileysad:

It just seems like some updates confuse the OS and then I see this issue.  Next time I will try just the Amazon apps first, and expect no issues.  Maddening.

0 Likes