Re: * For those that got their 2.3.6 update * What do you think? Pros & Cons
curtisdr
Enthusiast - Level 3

majael wrote:

Curtis -- just so that we are clear... this is your WiFi connection to your own personal network that is degraded after the update to 2.3.6, not communication with the Verizon network, right?

I was commenting on my wifi connection to my home network.  My phone showed in the wifi details that I was connected to my personal network, but it did not have the wifi icon and I couldn't browse the web. I had to restart my phone, then it picked it up.

I didn't comment on one issue that I did have with the VZW network.  Although I just got 4G in my area, I've been keeping it on 3G due to better battery life.  After the update, my phone had no 3G connection for an extended period of time which had never been a problem for me personally.

0 Likes
curtisdr
Enthusiast - Level 3

majael wrote:
 I wonder if this might be one of those instances where doing the factory reset and applying the updates up to 2.3.6 before reinstalling apps will improve things?  Perhaps worth trying as a last resort before taking that last step into the realm of unsupported actions?

I wiped my SD and reset to factory before installing the update. I'll look into what you suggested. Thanks.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend
The only thing my cousin doesn't like so far is... No gtalk with video. Been teasing him all day about him bad mouthing my droid3 for not having it at least i got it with the MR release. :smileytongue:
0 Likes
WTTTT
Enthusiast - Level 2

Here in Southern Oregon no update yet.  I am also thinking once the update gets here the way to go may be the factory reset then update. 

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend
My Cousins dude just that. Factory reset then checked for update again then he installed it.
0 Likes
UMFootball1989

what if is no there when you do a factory reset

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend
You'll get it again. It's not like you only have one shot at getting the update.
0 Likes
dsquare86

I am interested mainly in if this update improves Data Connection dropping which has been an issue with mine and my wifes phone ever since day one.

I installed this update on her phone this morning and am going to let her run it through the paces to report back on here.

0 Likes
Richs10
Enthusiast - Level 3

Finally got my update overnight.  Installed smoothly in about 20 minutes with only one reboot at the end.

My phone is definitely smoother and faster.  I had developed a very bad lag which on occason, caused the phone to take 10 to 15 seconds to re-draw the homepage when coming out of the browser or some programs.  It was getting much worse lately.  THAT IS NOW GONE!  Very happy about that!  I also like that I can scroll through the homepages in a continuous loop now.  Minor cosmetic changes.  I wish they had added some new colors or themes though.  

The phone is much faster.  FWIW, using the Quadrant app, the score on the phone as increased from the 950's with froyo to the 1500's and 1600's, even one time as high as 1710.  I'm not sure what it means but it sure sounds impressive!

Overall, it looks like GB is a big improvement.....FINALLY!!!!

I was really beginning to dislike this phone with Froyo.

So, can anyone give me the quick skinny on the significance of Quadrant scores?  

Thanks,

Rich

0 Likes
jbrookley
Enthusiast - Level 3

So far, everything seems to have been improved.  My concern right now is the GPS.  I use it all the time an it doesn't appear to be working.  It had better not be because Verizon locked us out from using the free GPS we were using so that we have to use their paid version.  If that's the case, that's going to be a deal breaker for me.  

Have you guys had this problem?

0 Likes