First things to do when you get your Droid X
ipflash0r

Obviously one to turn it on and start charging right away(through wall) but what else should i do? install updates? what else? thanks in advance! i should have my phone in 20 hours! w00t! w00t! time to show off to the apple fanboys now.. what should i say to them? my screens bigger? lol

0 Likes
Re: First things to do when you get your Droid X
kdurand

Go through the set up steps for your emails and such.

Then go to the market and download the Advance Task Killer (it's free). That will kill apps that are running in the background that are taking up memory and battery power.

I also suggest a battery monitor if you're concern with how much you have left.  I use BatteryTime Lite (free of course)

Some other fun apps are Google sky maps, paper toss, DroidLight (it's an awesome flashlight), PicSay (decorate your pictures), The Weather Channel.

Then organize your 4 home pages the way you like them :smileyhappy:

I found the droid to be very complex at first.  

Also, you're going to want to check your ringer settings (since this phone is pretty quiet)...On your home page, hit the menu button (far left of the keys) click Sound & Display, then Ringer Volume and turn that all the way up.  When the phone is face up on a table or in your pocket against cloth, it's going to be very hard to hear.  So you're gonna want to keep checking lol.  Sucks, but hopefully they'll come out with an update to fix that.  I've called Verizon twice now and they can't seem to do anything.  So I would call too, the more people to report it the faster we might get an update.

I hope that helps!

0 Likes
ipflash0r

this will help ALOT! thanks a bunch!! what about android updates? i heard its over othe air update of some sort? know anything about this? thanks again!

0 Likes
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

The first thing I did when I got my G1 was look through the settings and features on the phone. Next I went into market and downloaded some apps.

0 Likes
harryjrv

I had an issue with changing between audible alerts and vibrate, as it was very different from my previous phone. I got the "Volume Control" app to put most of the volume stuff on one screen.

Just be aware that the alarms have their own setting for vibrate, otherwise they will only display an alert when sound is off.

0 Likes
ipflash0r

should i update any firmware updates if they are available?

0 Likes
Lightninrod
Enthusiast - Level 3

Don't charge it right off.  Use the factory battery charge that was put in it until the battery runs low then do a full charge.  This will help accuritize the battery meter.

You don't need a task killer.  Google/Android have their own task killer built in and it will do a fine job of managing apps/tasks.

0 Likes
ipflash0r

how long is the charge once i turn it on for the first time? its 2:24pm and its SUPPOSE to be here by 3:00!!! {word filter avoidance}
?!

0 Likes