Factory Reset makes 2.2 work ?????
Fondoquats
Enthusiast - Level 3

Everybody has problems with 2.2....at least from what I can see in the forums. I have noticed that some people have done a "Factory Reset" and have reported that 2.2 now works fine. 

Has anybody tried this and found out that by doing the reset corrected the issues? 

0 Likes
Re: Factory Reset makes 2.2 work ?????
djtonic
Contributor - Level 2

it seems to!

I will say, on a PC I have always done fresh installs for any OS upgrade.  A factory reset may remove any registry errors, etc that the upgrade left. ( i don't know if Android uses a registry system like windows)

so, it does seem to work.  Also, with any of the custom 2.2 roms and "leaked" verisions, it has helped to clear cache and factory wipe before applying the updates. 

Maybe worth trying a factory reset before updating too.

dj.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

I suggest it because it sure does seem to help the device run smoother,  it seems that previous setting and apps saved during installation of update appears to cause compatible issues... Give it a try, I haven't heard of any negative outcome from giving it a try.

0 Likes
Fondoquats
Enthusiast - Level 3

I was hesitant on doing a hard reset but I went through with it. The reset did nothing to correct my 2.2 issues. Text messages are still out of whack and it makes random sounds now when no notifications are present.....

0 Likes
djtonic
Contributor - Level 2

when you say "out of whack" for text messages, what exactly is out of whack?

Dj.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Please explain your response....  My text messages hasnt gave me any issues, now I did notice that MyBackup restores SMS and then MMS and this causes the messages to be out of order because of the restore method, are you using any backup application?

If you are now able to resolve try giving this a try and see if it helps any.

http://community.vzw.com/t5/DROID-X-by-Motorola/Minimize-Droid-X-Issues-After-Froyo-Update/td-p/2965...

Also if you have any backup apps, please do not restore any settings files that the backup made because this defeats the purpose of this process.

0 Likes
hubsm
Enthusiast - Level 3

My Droid X is 2 days old and came with 2.2.  Last night it stopped making and receiving calls, but email and data functions still work and all apps work.  I called tech support and of course their first idea was factory reset.  Since I just spent two days paying for and downloading apps, I am not excited about resetting and having to deal with all the hassles of reinstalling all the apps.  Not even sure how to do it without paying again. 

The tech also said "there are a lot of apps in the Marketplace what don't work with 2.2 and that may be causing the problem".  If I do a factory reset and start re-installing apps how will I know which app or apps are causing the problem?  The tech suggested that I install one app per day and see if it messes up the phone.  If I do that and find that app #6 causes the problem, won't I have to do another factory reset and start all over again.  Then if what would have been app #7 also messes up the phone will I have to do a third reset, etc.?  How will I know what app I download next week will also bring problems with it since the Marketplace does not tell you "This app will not work with Android 2.2".

Sorry, this post got a lot longer than I had planned (flow of consciousness).  The core question really is - If everything on the phone works except for not being able to make/receive calls, is this even a factory reset issue or something that can be solved another way?  OR, is it just a bad phone and not an app problem at all?

BTW, I tried *228, item 1, to re-activate the phone and that worked (twice), but it still won't make calls.

I wish, for once, I could get a new phone and have it work, rather than spending days or weeks trying to get the phone working.

As of now, I have reactivated my Storm 2

Does this post make any sense?

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Have you tried going through the program process again and see if this resolve your issue, try dialing *228 and #1(Sorry just noticed you did.), I really do understand your point, hard resetting can be a pain and hopefully there will be other solutions than doing a hard reset all the time but at this time this seems to be the only universal solution for a large number of issues so Tech Support has made this a standard response but I am not sure this is needed under your situation.  Try these options first, these are separate and need to be done one at time...

•  Restart Device
  •  Program phone and roaming (*228 and #1 and then hangup and then  *228 and #2)
  •  Uninstall apps one at a time and then try a call, if it corrects itself this will be you problem app.
  •  Check all radios - Cycle phone, wifi and plane modes
  •  This may be strange but remove SD Card and boot phone and test. Remaining app info on SD can cause issues also.

The information about incompatible apps, CS are actually informing you correctly that there is a number of apps on market that hasn't became 100% compatible with Froyo 2.2 and can cause issues if installed but I don't know if there is a app that would effect the phone like reported ... Try a reset if nothing else works but follow this method from http://community.vzw.com/t5/DROID-X-by-Motorola/Minimize-Droid-X-Issues-After-Froyo-Update/m-p/29658... and then after all is completed log into Google Mail and then go to the market and select left menu button and pick downloads from the list and then you will see all pay apps that you installed and you can reinstall the apps rather quickly,

I am really hoping Droid Central information is correct on 2.2.1 update coming soon with bug fixes for 2.2. read about it here http://www.androidcentral.com/droid-x-about-get-another-update(This hasnt been verified but a nice thought.)

0 Likes
lewwill
Enthusiast - Level 3

I disagree with your assumption that everyone has problems with 2.2.  I beleive the opposite is true, the majority have not had a problem with 2.2.  Many in these forums have posted that, including me.  My X has been trouble free on 2.1 and 2.2.  I have had apps that did not work properly but that is not the fault of the phone or OS.  I do not mess with the OS, ie root, leaked upgrades, etc.  I have had my X since 7/16, first smart phone and steep learning curve but it has been great.  I cannot believe all it can do and I have been very satisfied.

0 Likes
MrHost
Enthusiast - Level 3

Fondoquats wrote:

Everybody has problems with 2.2....at least from what I can see in the forums. I have noticed that some people have done a "Factory Reset" and have reported that 2.2 now works fine. 

Has anybody tried this and found out that by doing the reset corrected the issues? 

Short answer is yes. Doing a "Factory reset" will improve performance on your phone. A lot of information is stored with the Database on your phone and then called later by the applications. Doing a factory reset and then performing the upgrade (if needed) should be done before installing your own applications. The easiest analogy is like the above windows description. While the details are technically different the idea is the same. Start clean to run clean. I have gone from 1.6 Android to the current 2.2 on my froyo and have had excellent results and when OTA came out, I backed up my data to SD reset my phone, performed upgrade and then restored data from SD. It is a lengthy process pending on the amount of stuff you have on your phone. I run nearly 80 apps on my phone and this process is time consuming but well worth it in the end. To resolve problematic software apps, I advise on uninstalling the apps from newest install to oldest one at a time. Try the phone for the problem and if fixed, I would send a note to the developer about it and see if they can guide you through troubelshooting the problem and resolving it. A reset shoudl be considered the last resort in many cases, but if you have more than five misc issues going on that you have tried getting resolved, I would just do a reset. You will spend that much time resetting or researching or taking the time to take the phone in for help. I hope this helps and understand the majority of it andif you have uestions you can reply or send a personal message to the poster and see if they can answer your question(s). Good luck and may your Droid be with you!
0 Likes