Facebook sync overwrites Droid 2 contact list
razingkane

I just purchased the Droid 2.  The Verizon store moved my contacts from my old phone to the Droid 2.  I setup my Facebook account on the Droid 2.  My Droid 2 contact list was then missing some contact names and other contacts had the wrong phone numbers.  I took both phones to the Verizon store.  They deleted my Facebook.  The missing contacts were available again and the contacts that had the wrong phone numbers now had the correct phone numbers again. 

According to the Verizon person, something happens to the Droid 2 contact list when Facebook and the Droid 2 contact list are synced.  I can re-install Facebook but was told to un-check the sync option.

So is this a known problem to be fixed or is Facebook and the Droid 2 contact list working as designed, has anybody else had this problem, or what?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Facebook sync overwrites Droid 2 contact list
GRINEYFASE
Enthusiast - Level 2

There's a difference between the Facebook application and simply adding a Facebook account to your phone via "My Accounts." The latter will add all your Facebook contacts without your permission, while the former will not attempt to sync your Facebook friends' personal information with your phone contacts.

Unfortunately there is currently no way to add your Facebook account via My Accounts without the syncing behavior, so using a separate application is necessary to get your desired behavior.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
GRINEYFASE
Enthusiast - Level 2
0 Likes
razingkane

GRINEYFASE wrote:

I answered a similar question a week or so ago:

http://community.vzw.com/t5/DROID-2-by-Motorola/how-do-i-delete-the-facebook-contacts-from-my-phone-...

Yes, I saw thread.  Being new to a Droid 2 I did not associate your answer with my issue.  Now I do, as I too don't want all the the people on Facebook in my contact list.

When I reinstalled Facebook I did not see where I could stop the sync between Facebook and the contact list.  That being said, this time, I did not have any issues with my contact list and phone numbers.

0 Likes
GRINEYFASE
Enthusiast - Level 2

There's a difference between the Facebook application and simply adding a Facebook account to your phone via "My Accounts." The latter will add all your Facebook contacts without your permission, while the former will not attempt to sync your Facebook friends' personal information with your phone contacts.

Unfortunately there is currently no way to add your Facebook account via My Accounts without the syncing behavior, so using a separate application is necessary to get your desired behavior.

0 Likes
razingkane

GRINEYFASE wrote:

Is there a Facebook from Market that you know works well and feel confortable in reccomending?

0 Likes
razingkane

Found a Facebook app that does not sync the contact list......Thanks

GRINEYFASE wrote:

0 Likes
phathands

I noticed this same type of problem, where a few contacts, ones which I've had for some years, disappeared out of my contact list.  They are still there in the online backup assistant, but not on my phone.  I've tried running backup assistant, deleted the "facebook" account from My Accounts, restarted the phone, still they aren't there. 

HELP!!! Please and thank you.

0 Likes
Ms_Shonta
Contributor - Level 2

There is an issue with back up assistance on the device and website. I do apologize for the problems you are experiencing with the backup assistance. I can understand how frustrating this can be. At this time the problems that you are experiencing is a known issue. Our technicians are working diligently to resolve the issue. There is no Estimated Time of Resolution at this time. As more information becomes available for a resolution, we will be sure to pass the information along. 

0 Likes
NickR90

I had a similar problem with myspace sync, It keep's telling me I have to delete the user off of myspace which I'm not gonna do Considering it copied alot of user's :smileysad:

0 Likes
nicokel4

I had the droid x and then got the droid 2.  When I had the x half of my contact list was deleted from the phone however when you went online with back up assistant they were on there.  I went to the store and they could not figure out what happened. they said it was an issue with back up assistant.  I then purchased the Droid 2 and they still were unable to put all the numbers back on the phone.  I just signed up for facebook within the last 2 weeks so that was not an issue for me, however - I just got on my phone and low and behold some of my numbers are back. I dont know what is going on but I think it is a problem they are trying to fix.  Now if they can fix my phone freezing overtime I accidentally hit voice commands everything would be great.

0 Likes