Re: FP5 Update rolling out soon :D
jayare
Contributor - Level 2

The device support page once again shows the FP5 update is coming soon.

AlenCantrell
Enthusiast - Level 1

Anyone recieve this update yet?

0 Likes
jco23
Contributor - Level 3

one person I know got it.  I'm going to see if I can force it by adding it to my sdcard and see if shows up via recovery.

0 Likes
MBP2U

Got it Wednesday before lunch... took about 6 minutes.  No probs yet, but I did trash my WeatherBug widget because of the warning.  After, I put it back on and it works fine.

0 Likes
MBP2U

Where can I find this theme?  Still stuck with the same lame themes in FP5.

0 Likes
WTTTT
Enthusiast - Level 2

That page says "software update, i510.FP5"  When I look at my "About phone", which has firmware 2.3.6, the only listings that have "FP" anywhere in the version are Baseband, Kernal, and Build.  These all say "....FP1".    Does the fact that my phone says FP1 mean that I have somehow not received updates FP2, FP3, and FP4?  Or did Verizon jump from FP1 to FP5?

0 Likes
bphenchey

This thread appears to be the ONLY hit for "i510.FP5" on verizonwireless.com.  I just got notified about 30 mins ago of the update and yes WTTTT, you currently have FP1 and FW version 2.3.6. -- and this new update will upgrade you to FP5 and some unknown, newer FW version.

And no WTTTT, you didn't miss any versions (FP2...FP4) because I too never got notifications for any intermediate updates.  In my 10 years experience in IT, skipped versions of software/firmware usually happen due to buggy software that they do NOT want to release to the public.

I'm going to delay installing this upgrade AS LONG AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE because (a) I have an ongoing tech support case open dealing with an intermittent "not receiving texts" -issue (which I'm told is specific to *some* Samsung Droid Charges..), and (b) this update, based upon the VzW-provided description, is useless (other than for troubleshooting with VzW).  I have no voice quality issues now (since VzW sent me another Charge..but I do now have this new text'ing issue...), and the update seems particularly useless, similar to the previous update several months ago (January-ish??).

I wish Android/VzW didn't harangue users EVERY 30 MINS to install this update....talk about harrassment.  It SHOULD be at a more reasonable frequency, like once or twice a day.

Message was edited by: Brian P. Henchey (corrected version from 2.4.6 to 2.3.6)

0 Likes
WTTTT
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for that clarification.  I don't have to deal with the nags as so far I have not received notification of the update.  Even manually checking it says I am up to date.

Talk about nagging though.... I have another thread discussing the update nags for all the useless bloat apps installed by Verizon on this phone.  Now that is real hassle as they can not be updated automatically but have to be dealt with manually one by one.

I think your plan to delay is a good one for a while at least to see what others say about this update.  In the end though, I will probably do it even though my phone works fine as it is.  Even if you don't want the update, I don't see any way to stop the popups prompting you to install it and those are probably more of a hassle to deal with than going through the update process.

0 Likes
bphenchey

In my previous post I fixed the middle of the FW version -- oops.  I completely agree with you -- other than getting nagged about updating bloat apps.  All that ever happens on my phone is I have EVERY APP set to "manually update" (...I feel old as sea salt here..been in the computer industry too long..) so any bloatware that "needs" updating is in a list of many apps "needing" updating; I just ignore it.  I never get any pop-ups/annoyances so out of sight, out of mind.

I wish someone would come out with an app to prevent the harassing pop-ups...

0 Likes
jayare
Contributor - Level 2

Does anybody know what the update to the UI is?  I've gotten the update, but don't see any visible difference.  From what I gather, whatever the change is, it has to do with Apple's lawsuit.  I just haven't seen any difference to know what was changed.  One piece of bloatware gone, though.  That can't be all bad.

0 Likes