Entering contacts in default messaging app
icanthackit

Hey all. I'm having 1 problem on my week old Motorola Droid. I believe it's running Android 2.1 and I would like to continue using the default text messaging app.

Here's what I do...I open the Messenging app and I see all my messaging threads. At the top there's the option...

New message

Compose new message

...or something like that.

I select New message and I'm presented with two fields. "To" and "Type to compose." I have tried everything I can think off to add a contact from my contacts list and nothing works. Let's say I have a contact in my contacts list called "Joe." If I type "Joe" in the To field, all it does it assume I'm trying to send a message to "563" as if I had pushed the buttons on a number pad.

The only way that I can send a message to somebody without actually typing in their phone number or email address, is to go directly to my contacts list, and choose to send a message through there.

This isn't horrible, but for example, I've tried to share a definition from the dictionary.com app with a friend through text message. I hit share and it pasted the text dirrectly into a new message. I was not able to enter in a contact by name. Honestly, how many of us actually remember phone numbers? Isn't that was the contacts list or the old fashioned rolodex is for?

If you absolutely need to suggest some other application that will send text messages, i want it to be as simple as the default, nothing too flashy, and I want to stick as close to official as I can.

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Entering contacts in default messaging app
mreisinger1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Under the contact information do you have the number under Mobile? I have found that without their number being listed as a mobile number the messaging app doesn't pick it up. To fix go to Contacts, Select the Contact, Click the Menu button, then touch where it says either Home, Work, etc and make it Mobile.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
icanthackit

Now I've read a few people talking about something called "Handcent." This appears to be a replacement for the default messenging app? If I attempt to use Handcent, will I automatically revert to the old default messenger if I uninstall Handcent?

0 Likes
mreisinger1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Under the contact information do you have the number under Mobile? I have found that without their number being listed as a mobile number the messaging app doesn't pick it up. To fix go to Contacts, Select the Contact, Click the Menu button, then touch where it says either Home, Work, etc and make it Mobile.

0 Likes
icanthackit

Bingo! Thanks! Just had to switch from the default contact info which was "Home" to "Mobile."

0 Likes