Email disappears after opening
jpmunk
Enthusiast - Level 2
On my dinc2 sometimes when I open certain emails on the mail client, the message displays for a few seconds then goes blank and it won't display again. I this doesn't happen to all emails.

Anyone seen this before an knows the cause and fix?
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Email disappears after opening
tonyinsac
Enthusiast - Level 2

I posted a few weeks ago... having the same problem.  I came across a proposed solution for something similar on another forum and tried it and so far it is working.  

My Yahoo email account is set up as an IMAP account.  When I added it to my phone the settings (incoming and outgoing) for Yahoo were automatically set for me.  The solution I came across was to use the setting from Yahoo and override the automatic settings.  In doing so, it deleted my old account, but installed the new one.... I didn't lose any emails and everything synced fine.  I found that the difference between the automatic-filled settings and the settings from Yahoo was that the word "android" was in both my incoming and outgoing server settings (android.imap.mail.yahoo.com and android.smtp.mail.yahoo.com).  I deleted the word "android" and continued with the setup.  The emails in my inbox that previously had their contents disappear on my are now intact, even after opening them numerous times.  I didn't have to change any other settings, other than removing "android" from the sequence.  Below are the settings from Yahoo for setting up an IMAP account on a droid.

• Incoming Server - imap.mail.yahoo.com
  • Outgoing Server - smtp.mail.yahoo.com
  • Incoming Port - 993 (requires SSL)
  • Outgoing Port - 465 (requires SSL)
  • Username: full email address (bill@yahoo.com)
  • Password: is the password you login to Yahoo! with

View solution in original post

0 Likes
AnthonyTa_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello jpmunk!

I know it's important to be able to view email on your smartphone device, and would be happy to assist!

Sounds as though the mail application cache and data needs to be cleared.  This would delete cached files the app stores on your phone, and clearing data would clear all the data stored by the app.  Once the mail application data is cleared you would just want to force another sync to bring your email data back to your device.  I am including instructions for these steps below:

Reset Application - HTC DROID Incredible 2 ADR6350

Please let me know how this works out for you!

0 Likes
jpmunk
Enthusiast - Level 2
There its no clear days option for the mail application. This affects only certain emails.
0 Likes
jpmunk
Enthusiast - Level 2
Is anyone else having issues with html mail?
0 Likes
Not applicable

Jpmunk, I have not heard of this as a known issue with this phone but it could be related to the email itself. What email provider are you using? Are you able to view any HTML emails? Do these emails appear on your computer? If you are using Outlook or a similar email client on your computer for these emails, make sure it is set to leave messages on the server. Just under this setting, there is a option to remove messages from the server after a number of days. Either make sure this is unchecked or extend the number of days. 

0 Likes
jpmunk
Enthusiast - Level 2
I use yahoo. This only affects certain messages. I notice that the message displays until the remaining part of the email is downloaded and then of disappears.
0 Likes
Not applicable

I use Yahoo also and have not seen this issue. Are the emails still in your Yahoo inbox? Do they appear in the trash on the phone? Check to see if your phone is set to ask before deleting email. Open your Mail, press Menu, More, Settings, General Settings. Check Ask before deleting if it is not checked.

0 Likes
tonyinsac
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just started having this problem today too.  It seems to only be in my Yahoo email.  The email appears in the list, I open it, the contents (actual email note) display, then the email contents... just the words disappear.  The email still appears in my opened email list, but if I open it again there is nothing there... its empty.  I have a droid incredible 2

0 Likes
jpmunk
Enthusiast - Level 2
After my original post, I spent a lot of time experimenting with this. I think that ,the issue is that the html is malformed in some emails and it displays correctly at first until the second part of the message is downloaded. My wife has the same phone and we looked at the same email and the problem was exactly the same. If i use the web browser or the yahoo mail app, there is no iasue. I think that the HTC mail client is just not tolerant of bad html.
0 Likes
Not applicable

There are some good ideas being tossed around here, and I'm sure everyone would agree that if it's a problem with the Yahoo! mail client or some type of security issue when receiving/viewing emails on multiple devices, the mail provider should be informed of the issue.  I found an outside resource on the Yahoo! site while researching the issue (How to report a problem). This method informs the mail provider of trends and perhaps they can make adjustments to help rectify these issues.

From what it sounds like, the issue is specific to Yahoo! and should be troubleshot, tested, adjusted, and escalated to the mail host. Perhaps there are settings that can be adjusted on the account for optimal performance on the device.  

Some other things to try:

1) Try to download a different mail retrieval client from the Market (just type email in the search box, and you'll get plenty of hits).

2) Try downloading the Yahoo! mail app from the Market to see if the errors persist there. 

3) Ensure mail retrieval clients accessing the same account do not interfere with the email setup on your Android device. This

mainly happens when desktop/pc software accesses the same email account as the Android device. 

Please reply with any new info, troubleshooting steps, or breaking news regarding this email situation. 

0 Likes