Early upgrade for secondary line
Ragamuffin

I was hoping maybe somebody could shed some light on a few questions I have about the whole "early upgrade" deal

For starters, I am a secondary line on a family share plan with 4 other people. I am the only one who has (and will be getting) a smartphone. Will I be able to upgrade to the Droid X  early even if I'm the only person out of 5 who gets a smartphone?

Also, I am listed as an "Account Manager" in the "My Verizon." Will the holder of the primary line need to be at the Verizon store to sign the new contract, or does my "account manager" status make me eligible to sign the new agreement?

Lastly, could the holder of the primary line wait until September (when all of us are actually due for an upgrade) to upgrade his phone and still be able to use his NE2 credit?

Thanks in advance for any help.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Early upgrade for secondary line
Kimberly_Nicole
Contributor - Level 2
Hi.  I understand that you have questions regarding upgrading your phone and I can certainly help you from here.   In order to check to see if you have an early upgrade available, you can check the primary number on the account to see if it is eligible.  Only the primary number gets an early upgrade.  You can always order the phone on that number when they are eligible because when you receive the phone, you can activate it on the line you want.  You can check to see their upgrade eligibility by going to the "Shop" tab within your account, go to "Wireless" and click on the "Upgrade to new phone" option to check the dates for all of your lines.

If you are registered as an account manager online, you can login your account to order the phone, the account holder does not need to go to the store to sign a contract.   If you are classified as an Account Manager, that does make you eligible to upgrade phones on the account.

Yes, if one of your lines are eligible for an upgrade, you do not need to upgrade now.  You can wait and still get your discount.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks!  :smileywink:

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Kimberly_Nicole
Contributor - Level 2
Hi.  I understand that you have questions regarding upgrading your phone and I can certainly help you from here.   In order to check to see if you have an early upgrade available, you can check the primary number on the account to see if it is eligible.  Only the primary number gets an early upgrade.  You can always order the phone on that number when they are eligible because when you receive the phone, you can activate it on the line you want.  You can check to see their upgrade eligibility by going to the "Shop" tab within your account, go to "Wireless" and click on the "Upgrade to new phone" option to check the dates for all of your lines.

If you are registered as an account manager online, you can login your account to order the phone, the account holder does not need to go to the store to sign a contract.   If you are classified as an Account Manager, that does make you eligible to upgrade phones on the account.

Yes, if one of your lines are eligible for an upgrade, you do not need to upgrade now.  You can wait and still get your discount.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks!  :smileywink:

0 Likes
Ragamuffin

Thank you for your very helpful reply! I guess my last question would be this:

You say that only the primary line can get an early upgrade; would I be able to go to a Verizon store on June 15th, and after all is said and done, walk out of that store with the new phone activated on my secondary line? Or would you suggest ordering it online as the best option?

0 Likes
Kimberly_Nicole
Contributor - Level 2

Ragamuffin wrote:

Thank you for your very helpful reply! I guess my last question would be this:

You say that only the primary line can get an early upgrade; would I be able to go to a Verizon store on June 15th, and after all is said and done, walk out of that store with the new phone activated on my secondary line? Or would you suggest ordering it online as the best option?

Hi.  Yes, on your upgrade date, you can upgrade your phone either online or in the store.   You will be able to activate it on the line you want.    Online, you do get an instant rebate instead of a mail in rebate that you will probably get in the store.   I love the convenience of online but if you feel more comfortable going to the store you can.    Remember if you have issues or need directions doing it online, we are always here to help!

Please let me know if you have any other questions

Thanks!

0 Likes
Ragamuffin
Thanks so much! You've been incredibly helpful!
0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

You can always go to the store ahead of time and play with the phones and then upgrade online when the time comes. 

There will be a $29.99 data charge added to your plan. 

0 Likes