Re: EPIC FAIL: Text selection BROKEN DroidX 2.3.3.
Cody21
Master - Level 2

Finally getting caught up here ...

@vereyezuhn   - You are CORRECT ...  I no longer have the "blue wings" when I single tap on a word. It is now all SOLID and I have no way to slide either the Left half or Right half to expand the text chars. that I wish to edit.  All I get now is a Solid text pointer. I can slide the entire pointer left & right, but no lnger have the split line down the midde separating Left & Right halves.

@wildman -  All I did was a Power Up / CLEAR CACHE - from the blue menu from holding HOME button ...  stupid me ... should have never "tried" that. It clearly broke this feature.

I'd be curious WHERE this "adjustable blue pointer" comes from.  SWYPE? in th base OS?  If there was some APP I could uninstall & reinstall?  Apparently SWYPE is not one of those.

0 Likes
MrMRM513

The issue appears to have been solved.

I shut off the backup data features under Settings/Privacy on my phone and factory reset it. The wings now work.

By now, I have no idea what caused it or even if the method above actually solved the problem. Given enough arm-twisting, I'll even confess to human error, but I seriously doubt it. :smileyindifferent: 

The trick, which should have worked the whole time:

1. Tap the word where you want the cursor to go.

2. Long press the word. Menu pops up with selection suggestions.

3. Tap select word.

4. The word should now be selected, with the wings on either side.

Glory be, what a mess.

Most other things appear to work well under Gingerbread, though I noticed a couple of other minor issues.

I'll try to list them before Verizon locks me out of this as well.

Thanks for all your suggestions and Cody, I sure hope this helps you as well.

Mike

MrMRM513 (was MrMikeM513)

[Edited to comply with Terms of Service]

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

Thanks for that update Mike ...  That does in fact work ... but - BUT - I never had to tap twice before clearing cache.  All I did was Single tap anywhere in a word and I go that "double wing" text tool every time.  As convoluted as it is, at least I know I can get there with a long-press over a word. 

THANKS for the effort!

0 Likes
MrMRM513

Thanks for the thanks...

It's been a hectic 2 days of factory resets, updates and more factory resets. I remember getting the wings on first tap as you describe at first and then the feature breaking altogether. But yes, it's working now, and as described in the generic Android 2.3.3 manual.

For ease of reading, remember:

Long pressing a word brings up the selection menu.

Double-tapping the word selects the word and presents the cut/copy/paste menu.

Oy!

Mike

(His own EPIC FAILURE :smileysad:)

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

@Mike - I'm going to bring this up to the SOAK team.  IMHO, it should "stick" or be an option about whether it's there full-time or not. Just too many steps IMHO.

0 Likes
MrMRM513

Agreed. This new method is crazy cumbersome.

Better would be: double tap word. Word gets highlighted with wings for adjustment. Once wings set, long press for selection/cut/copy/paste options.

Something as common and simple as selecting text shouldn't require training.

Thanks and best,

Mike

0 Likes
AZ8
Contributor - Level 1

Ive updated to GB.  I simply long press a word, both wings appear, copy selected word/sentence, paste from clipboard. Simple.

The steps Im reading from this thread seem unneccesary. Maybe Im just not understanding your solution.

0 Likes
AyaniB_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hi MrMRM513,

I apologize for the delayed response.  Im glad to see that you and the community identified the resolution. Pleas advise if you require additional assistance.  Happy Texting!!

Thanks for your patience,

0 Likes
Ellenj
Enthusiast - Level 3

AyaniB_VZW wrote:

Hi MrMRM513,

I apologize for the delayed response.  Im glad to see that you and the community identified the resolution. Pleas advise if you require additional assistance.  Happy Texting!!

Thanks for your patience,

I JUST got the update on my Droid 2, hence the delay.  I have to:

long hold,

get the menu,

select word,

adjust the wings (which is VERY difficult for me - it's why I got a phone with a real keyboard),

long hold to get the menu,

select copy,

move the cursor where I want it,

long hold,

get the menu 

paste.  

I used to use the shiftkey & arrow to select text,

hold the OK to get the menu

select copy

move the cursor to where I want it

hold the OK to get the menu

Paste FROM CLIPBOARD!

2 major problmes:  Now, when I hold the OK to get the menu, I DO NOT GET THE PASTE OPTION!!!

And, even when I hold the touch and hold the screen where I want the text, and it VERY RAREY gives me the menu with the paste option, I still do not get the paste from clipboard option!  Which I use.  A lot! 

HELP

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Have you done a Factory Reset on your phone Ellen any time a new OS comes out on a phone its good to do a FR this putes that OS on a clean slate an you can do the Reset after you have installed the The update wich you say you got in your Post .

What i would do is call Verizon go to the Teck Serv. An have them Help you thru the FR you'll have to have a Landline or another Cell phone.  to talk to Teck but they can help you thru this an they'll tell you how to back your contacts up an other things. 

Good luck an i hope this Helps ya out   Happy Labor Day.  B33

0 Likes