EPIC FAIL: Text selection BROKEN DroidX 2.3.3.
MrMikeM513
Enthusiast - Level 3

Basic text selection is broken in the new Gingerbread update.

According to the stock Android 2.3.3 manual,:

====

Select text

You select text that you want to cut, copy, delete, or replace.

1 Touch & hold the text or word you want to select.

2 Touch Select word or Select all in the menu that opens.The selected text is highlighted in orange, with a tab at each end of the selection. [emphasis mine]

3 Drag either selection tab to expand or reduce the range of selected text.If you change your mind, you can unselect the text by touching unselected text inthe same or in another text field, or press the Back button.

====

In the DROID X Gingerbread update, pressing on a word highlights the word, but the tabs NEVER appear at each end of the word. Instead, the phone prompts me to copy, cut or paste. This happens in every app, including the Google search bar, Gmail, Docs to Go, Note Everything, or any other program with a text entry field.

This is a stock device, never rooted nor hacked in any way. I have factory reset my phone and tried this with both the multi-touch keyboard and swype. The results are identical.

The so-called Help Center app on the phone does not address this issue.

Selecting more than one word of  text is therefore impossible. Without flexible text selection, the Droid X is little more than a tinker toy. I may as well be editing my documents with a t9 numeric keyboard on a flip phone.

After SIX MONTHS of Motorola altering this otherwise working OS - and Verizon approving it - I'm reduced to asking what appears to be the most common question of both companies: When will Motorola/Verizon issue a fix?

Michael R. Marano

Extremely dissatisfied customer

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: EPIC FAIL: Text selection BROKEN DroidX 2.3.3.
Cody21
Master - Level 2

I actually had this working as you expected after the GB update.  I had the Blue marker with a slideable Left & Right Tab - allowing me to expand over a specific word.  was working great Since Saturday.  Today, I did a "CLEAR CACHE" just to test it and see the results ... well guess what?  I no longer have that feature. It is now just 1 Blue Tab that no longer has the L/R sliders.  I can't for the life of me figure out what downgraded the feature -- except the CLEAR CACHE.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

I actually had this working as you expected after the GB update.  I had the Blue marker with a slideable Left & Right Tab - allowing me to expand over a specific word.  was working great Since Saturday.  Today, I did a "CLEAR CACHE" just to test it and see the results ... well guess what?  I no longer have that feature. It is now just 1 Blue Tab that no longer has the L/R sliders.  I can't for the life of me figure out what downgraded the feature -- except the CLEAR CACHE.

0 Likes
MrMikeM513
Enthusiast - Level 3

Motorola downgraded the feature when they screwed it up. 

0 Likes
vereyezuhn
Master - Level 3

Just tested this on mine, got GB this morning. It works perfectly fine for me. Exactly as it should. I'm assuming this is just like the other "bugs" in the update - randomly dispersed.

Atleast you know it's not a total flaw with the update.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Cody which app did you clear cache on?  I am tring to duplicate the issue with no luck....

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Thats what i wanted to know  too wich one it is.  i feel like the guy that had a boat on the river with No paddle  Cody can you find us the Paddle !  LOL  :smileyvery-happy:  

0 Likes
hallcp1019
Contributor - Level 2

ok i think i see what you are saying the single blue marker is the insert text simply long press on the word or text area it should say select text or word and then both blue markers appear did this help?

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

hallcp1019 wrote:

ok i think i see what you are saying the single blue marker is the insert text simply long press on the word or text area it should say select text or word and then both blue markers appear did this help?

But that doesnt sound like a error, that is how it seems to be designed because since I installed the first Beta this has been set up this way unless Im missing something..

0 Likes
hallcp1019
Contributor - Level 2

i was just thinking he could no longer select text what exactly is the issue at hand?

0 Likes
vereyezuhn
Master - Level 3

hallcp1019 wrote:

i was just thinking he could no longer select text what exactly is the issue at hand?

I think his problem was that he couldn't get the blue "wings" on either side of the word to show up, it just gave them the option to copy, cut, or paste when they long-pressed it. I could be wrong.... But as someone posted above, the blue "wings" are supposed to show up, and it works perfectly fine for me.

0 Likes