Droid2 Randomness
musicdavis

Both Droid2 phones on my plan have been acting randomly lately.  Opening and closing applications, turning on/off, clicking on odd things.  I just updated a few applications, so I thought it was that.  Now, I'm not sure.

Tonight, my phone was randomly opening and closing applicaitons, texts, emails, and my phonebook.  I pulled the battery to keep it from calling anyone.  I pulled the battery, but it acted the same after restarting.

I didn't believe my daughter's report of the same thing, but now I do.  She says half of her screen is dead, she can't send texts, and email doesn't work.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Droid2 Randomness
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

My wife's OG Droid did the same thing, unfortunately we were unable to fix it, however a call to customer support got a replacement sent to us fairly quickly.

0 Likes
TamaraH_VZW
Verizon Employee

That does sound rather odd, musicdavis. 

Were you able to get the phones to work properly again? Normally in a situation such as yours, we would have you put the device in safe mode. Safe Mode temporarily disables all applications that have been installed via the Android Market. Performing this troubleshooting step is necessary to determine whether a 3rd party application is the cause of an Operating System / Application issue.

If you put the phone in safe mode, and it still behaves randomly, then it would more than likely be the hardware. On the other hand, if the phone is in safe mode and it doesn't show any odd behaviors then we know the problem is more than likely a faulty application. 

At that point we would have you uninstall applications, preferably begin removing the most recently added apps to try to narrow it down. As always, as a last resort, you can start fresh by performing a hard reset. Keep in mind performing a hard reset will remove ALL data including the Google account, system data, application data, application settings, and downloaded applications.

0 Likes
John6700

I have an original Droid. Two days ago, it began this suddenness that you have described. I called Tech Support and we worked though everything we could with nothing providing the answer. The phone would not respond to commands, either. It seemed fond off opening the Browser and going from here to there. Really Bizarre! Somehow or other,, on one of it's trips it was making on its own, I was able to open the main menu and go to settings. By now, the Level II tech person had helped me get it connected to my computer and I think I got off everything I needed. Also, we were able to get it to move my contacts to my SD card.

THEN, I did the dreaded hard reset. It will acted a little crazy, so I left the battery out of it overnight. Today, after girding up my loins, I put the battery back in and started from the beginning. Called *288, option 1 for a "new phone reset." It responded most of the time to what I entered on the pull-out keyboard and I got connected to my gmail account. Voila. I was even able to make an out-going call on it. However, happiness did not last long. Started the randomness again. Somehow, again, I was able to get to the hard reset ---- had to push it numerous times, but finally it "took." Now, I am trying to set it up again, but it is   more difficult that earlier today.

Tech support said they could not tell for sure what was happening. IMHO, it sounds like it has bit the dust.

I have New for Two, which is being discontinued, but they will honor it because I had it before discontinuation.

Any ideas on saving this phone? I am not encouraged, personally.

As a replacement, any recommendations? I am looking at the Motorola Razr and the Motorola Bionic. I loved the slide-out keyboard on the original Droid, but I know the Bionic doesn't have it and I can't tell about the Razr without going into the store. Most of the clerks know less than I do--- I found a brilliant clerk about 6 years ago who really knows Smartphones, so I have stuck with him, even when he moved to a store about 30 miles away. However, he has left Verizon.

This is a long post, I am not experienced at condensing posts, so thank you for bearing with me.

I appreciate comments and suggestions!

Johnj19 in Spartanburg, SC. What the forum says about my using the 6700 is old! That is the phone I used before the Droid.

Oh, I call, text, email, browse, listen to music files, take a few pictures ---- use it for just about everything that is on there except no gaming. I truly appreciate any responses.

0 Likes