Droid won't say "Droid" on powerup
elaurel99
Enthusiast - Level 3

All of a sudden, my Droid will not say "droid" when it starts up from being powered off.  I have checked the user manual, there are no instructions for setting sounds whatsoever.  I have uninstalled each and EVERY single third party app I had installed, and still nothing.  The phone is NOT in silence or vibrate mode, I have every sound turned on from the two separate email applications (my Gmail and Hotmail) to Messages (text) to notification ringtone, still nothing.   Does anyone know how this was turned off and how to turn it back on?  I'm at a loss! 

2nd question - I fear that I may have to reset the phone back to factory settings to resolve this issue.  Does anyone know if I do this, will I still be able to see the third party apps that I had paid for and downloaded in the Android Marketplace when I reset the phone and start over?  The User Manual indicates that I will lose all data.

Thanks to anyone who is able to  help! 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Droid won't say "Droid" on powerup
Pete_C
Enthusiast - Level 1

I think the "power up" noise is actually the notification that plays when the SD card is prepared at startup.  That notification is always the default notification.  Go to Settings > Sound and Display settings > Notification Ringtone to set the default notification to Droid.  Then be sure that Settings > Sound and Display settings > SD card notifications is checked, and see if that resolves your issue.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Packet
Enthusiast - Level 3

Do you mean 'say Droid on power-up' as in, you expect a power-on noise?  Or that, after you've rebooted, you've lost notification noises?

If the second, are you still getting notifications up in the status bar that would trigger the noise?  If so, there's a shared/general notifications configuration.  From the home screen, hit Menu, pick Settings, go to Sound and Display, go to Notification Ringtone, and pick your preferred default ringtone.  If all your notifications have gone silent, I'm guessing your default notification somehow got set to 'Silent' in that menu.

In addition, each app generally has a 'notifications' section of their settings which lets you change that particular app's notification noise.  That lets you override the default for individual apps, so you can set a specific noise for Twidroid versus Gmail versus Google Voice voicemail/SMS, versus...

0 Likes
Pete_C
Enthusiast - Level 1

I think the "power up" noise is actually the notification that plays when the SD card is prepared at startup.  That notification is always the default notification.  Go to Settings > Sound and Display settings > Notification Ringtone to set the default notification to Droid.  Then be sure that Settings > Sound and Display settings > SD card notifications is checked, and see if that resolves your issue.

0 Likes
snorkel

Mine would say "Droid" at power up also, but not anymore.

I am pretty sure they snuck a OTA update that disabled that and the

home screen rotation.

After they did this my home screen only rotates when the physical keyboard is opened and the droid sound at startup is gone.

I am almost 100% positive a update was done without telling anyone.

0 Likes
elaurel99
Enthusiast - Level 3

Snorkel - as you'll see above, an angel found the solution!  I had to ensure that the SD Card Notification Ringtone was checked, now it works!  Just so you know, my home screen has never rotated horizontally unless the keyboard was out.  Not sure how on earth you got yours to rotate w/o the keyboard being opened?

0 Likes
amitjusc

As for the home screen rotation, I posted a new thread about this and I am experiencing the same thing that Snorkel is.  This morning I noticed that it would not rotate anymore.  It works in applications, but Verizon support told me that the home screen and unlock screen will not rotate to landscape unless you pull out the keyboard.  However, it was working for me the 5 days prevously.  Makes no sense why they would do this.  Search my username for the other thread that I made.

0 Likes