Droid no good as a telephone
donnyroy

Does anyone else find that the Droid can do everything but make and receive a clear telephone message?  I have my 3rd replacement and the voice quality is poor and people say I sound like I have my hand over the mouth piece.

0 Likes
Re: Droid no good as a telephone
mmagg48

That is the same for my phone. Since my kids have the same phone we all have problems hearing each other.

0 Likes
Geocritter

donnyroy wrote:

Does anyone else find that the Droid can do everything but make and receive a clear telephone message?  I have my 3rd replacement and the voice quality is poor and people say I sound like I have my hand over the mouth piece.

My main guess regarding sound quality is that if you've been through your third one, with the same problems, then the chances are it's not the hardware, but something else.  I'd say that's true for most smartphones.  It could be something like signal strength, a setting, or simply proximity to a tower (it can show 3 or 4 bars and still not be a great signal for calling, btw.) 

But if you Google it, you'll find that there are a few things you can try doing that have helped a lot of people with Droids and poor call quality: 

1. In call settings, make sure "voice privacy" isn't checked.  It has a tendancy to scramble your voice and make it difficult for the other side to hear.

2.  The voice codec setting can help too.  Dial ##7764726 (that's the programming menu, ##PROGRAM), enter 000000 for the password, and go to "04 Vocode".  Select EVRC-B and reboot.   Some people have tried some of the other codecs as well, but I think almost universally they call for EVRC-B now.

3. Check the kind of case on your phone if you're using one.  I found on mine that the verizon slide case with the clip didn't have a cutout for the back microphone (a tiny one near the center top).  Switching to a Seidio case, which had a tiny cutout for that, helped with my sound quality.

4.  Also, don't forget to dial *228,  option 2,  from time to time, to refresh the tower listing.  Sometimes a refreshing really helps with call quality/signal strength.

Just some ideas, hope they help!

Dan

0 Likes
reallyniceguy
Contributor - Level 3
Mine works fine.
0 Likes
hellorockview
Enthusiast - Level 3

Sorry you've had so many issues. My phone works fine when making calls. I've never had anyone complain about the sound quality. Hopefully you will manage to get one that works right!

0 Likes
jzojzo78

I am now on my second Droid - my last email message came thru on July 23 and it is now the 29th.  If I want to talk on the phone from home I have to go outside and then be very careful where I stand.  My husband has an inexpensive Nokia an has absolutely no problem with reception. Frankly, this is not only annoying but also embarrassing.  Several calls to customer service have been to no avail, and I just don't know where to go from here......any suggestions?

0 Likes
kjtech

I see this also, it seems to be worse when you call a non verizon customer

0 Likes
seadams

It is how you hold the phone. If you hold it with the mic down away from your mouth then others say they can't hear you. Try it you will see.

0 Likes