Droid freezing after exiting apps
navyvet2010

A few weeks ago, my droid began to start freezing a lot after exiting an app, internet, and texts, etc., and the shortcuts on the "desktop" would disappear for up to a minute or two and then reappear. It does this all the time now. Occasionally the lock screen will freeze and will take longer than usual to respond to my touch. Some days I have to restart the phone and take the battery out more than once a day. I've had the phone since June and this is the only real problem I've had with it. What is causing this? Also, it takes longer than usual for the apps list to open up. Basically, the overall speed of the phone has slowed down so much, its becoming very annoying. 

0 Likes
Re: Droid freezing after exiting apps
RonAnderson
Welcome to the club. There is a thread dedicated to this on Motorolas forum board as well. One said he called and vzw sent him a refurbished phone. But no one from Motorola nor vzw has addressed this while I been having this problem.

Me and another guy has been having this problem and it seems he and I are the only ones trying anything. I reformatted my SD card once and factory reset it twice. I have also defragmented the SD card and that seems to help a little as well. Rich and I have come to the conclusion that it is files that are corrupt and out of place and for the time being the aforementioned has helped

I personally think it is the CPU that is not big enough to run all the new technology
0 Likes
moates
Contributor - Level 3

I have provided some information below that may help.

Step 1 – Check the devices internal storage (instructions below). If the available memory is less than 30mb’s, you will start to experience slow down’s and possible freezing.

**If this is the case, you may need to remove applications, videos, etc. to free up some space.

http://support.vzw.com/clc/devices/knowledge_base.html?id=26472

Step 2 – Try placing the device into Safe mode. (Instruction article below)

*Safe mode is a method that allows the device to run without non-essential applications. This is beneficial for troubleshooting 3rd party applications.

http://support.vzw.com/clc/devices/knowledge_base.html?id=27713

If the device does not show any of the problematic symptoms while in safe mode, it may be an application that is not native to the device that is causing the issue.

Step 3 – If all the steps above have failed, a hard reset would be recommended. To complete a hard reset follow the instruction article below:

***Performing a hard reset will remove ALL data including the Google account, system data, application data, application settings, and downloaded applications. Only perform this reset if absolutely necessary.

http://support.vzw.com/clc/devices/knowledge_base.html?id=26502

0 Likes
bussery23

im glad im not the only one that this happens to. im on my 4th refurb phone. and its always the exact same problem. the icons on the home screen are very slow to apprear on the screen. 15-20 seconds. and lots of force closes on factory installed apps. the phone runs slow no matter how many apps i have installed. my last phone was super slow right out of the box, and stayed that way for the 3 months i had it. my newest phone, that i have had for 2 weeks now, started out fine, but gets slower every single day. i have done the factory reset, pulled the battery. nothing helps!!!! im so frustrated with this phone. i was perfect till the froyo update. even little things like losing the ability to go from vibrate to silent to ring just by using the side buttons. so annoying. and every toggle widget i install slows my phone down ever further!!!!!

HELP ME!

0 Likes
steveanderson13
Contributor - Level 2

bussery23 wrote:

im glad im not the only one that this happens to. im on my 4th refurb phone. and its always the exact same problem. the icons on the home screen are very slow to apprear on the screen. 15-20 seconds. and lots of force closes on factory installed apps. the phone runs slow no matter how many apps i have installed. my last phone was super slow right out of the box, and stayed that way for the 3 months i had it. my newest phone, that i have had for 2 weeks now, started out fine, but gets slower every single day. i have done the factory reset, pulled the battery. nothing helps!!!! im so frustrated with this phone. i was perfect till the froyo update. even little things like losing the ability to go from vibrate to silent to ring just by using the side buttons. so annoying. and every toggle widget i install slows my phone down ever further!!!!!

HELP ME!

In at least one case uninstalling  task killer solved the problem:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/tech-issues-bug-reports-suggestions/95068-poor-performance-since-2-...

Wow! I got rid of ATK and things are much improved. Thanks for the advice. 

I was at the Verizon store yesterday; what I don't understand is that all the new demonstration Droids had ATK loaded on them.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Because the reps have absolutely no clue how these phones work.  There's a reason the first step in troubleshooting problems on an android phone is to ditch any and all task killers you may have.  A couple of us have argued the point til we were blue in the face but people still feel the need to use them for some reason.

0 Likes
bussery23

I ditched ATk a long time ago.

0 Likes
navyvet2010

None of this helped. In my opinion, I'm pretty sure its the fact that this phone has a slow processor and can't handle doing more than one thing at a time and/or after the 2.2 update, something was added to the phone that the processor can't handle. I even took the phone into a Verizon store and they were clueless as to what to do. I guess my next step will be to call Verizon and see what they will do to fix this problem.

0 Likes
navyvet2010

Well, I'm glad there is a club. lol. Makes me feel a little better. I completely agree with you about the CPU not being big enough to handle to new technology. I'm pretty sure thats exactly what the problem is. I went to a Verizon store recently and the reps in there were completely clueless. It was sad. My Droid was fine before the 2.2 update a few months ago. Not one single problem with it. Greatest phone I have ever had up until that point. After the update.... It hasn't been a very pleasant experience. 

0 Likes
VandalDuck
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just received my update to 2.2.1 this morning. Not only did it fix my exchange issues, but I have not had any problems with the system freezing up after leaving apps. Used to have it happen all of the time when I exited out of a web browsing session that was using Flash, or out of the Angry Birds game.

Since the update - my system has run smooth!!

VandalDuck

0 Likes