Droid X - screen went black after update
StaceyC

Hi! I went into a verizon store today and they suggested doing an update. So I did that and now my screen is just black and I can't do anything with the phone.  It won't shut off unless I take the battery out.  I've tried that 2 times now and nothing.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Droid X - screen went black after update
Not applicable

You could try to do a master reset.  Sometimes when doing a software update a corrupted install can happen.  Here are the steps:

Press and hold the Power button then select Power off.

( If the device isn't responding to input, remove / replace the battery.) 

Press and hold the Home key then press power button to turn on.

Press the Power button while holding Home.

From the Android Recovery screen (exclamation point with an android figure), press Volume Up / Down simultaneously.

Select wipe data / factory reset then press the Power button.

Select Yes -- delete all user data then press the Power button

Reset process to may take approximately 1 minute.

Ensure reboot system now is selected then press the Power button.

Please repost if you continue to have issues.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Could you give more infor, did the device ever boot into Gingerbread after update and then it started going black or did it black out while updating...    Did you have a full battery before you started update..

If you can give more info it may be helpful.

0 Likes
Not applicable

You could try to do a master reset.  Sometimes when doing a software update a corrupted install can happen.  Here are the steps:

Press and hold the Power button then select Power off.

( If the device isn't responding to input, remove / replace the battery.) 

Press and hold the Home key then press power button to turn on.

Press the Power button while holding Home.

From the Android Recovery screen (exclamation point with an android figure), press Volume Up / Down simultaneously.

Select wipe data / factory reset then press the Power button.

Select Yes -- delete all user data then press the Power button

Reset process to may take approximately 1 minute.

Ensure reboot system now is selected then press the Power button.

Please repost if you continue to have issues.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend
if you have to change it out, it will come with gb installed. same thing happened to my son's dx.
0 Likes
rundlec
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've had continuing problems with my Droid X ever since updating to Gingerbread and am now on my 2nd Recertified phone.  One of the continuous problems has been the bottom portion of my screen where the dock is goes gray and is about 1/8" wide so that I can't see the dock.  I've done everything including factory resets (which always seems to be the answer to these problems).  I have also experienced rebooting on it's own after powering off. There are problems with the connection going from 3g to 1g for no reason and with Corporate Sync.  Verizon techs have not indicated any fix (patch) for the numerous problems people are experiencing with the new gingerbread so I have informed them that if I continue to experience these issues with this current recertified phone, then they need to give me a new phone that's not a Droid X and see if it's indeed Gingerbread or the phone itself.  Wish I had never upgraded to the Gingerbread.

0 Likes
esauhound

I tried this process and nothing is happening.  When I start my droid i hear the loud "Droid".  You can very faintly see the images on screen.  Not enough to make out anything, but enough to know it is working.  I tried the steps of holding down home key and power button and nothing happens.  I'm afraid the camera is going to the reset page, but there is no picture.  Is there any other solution?

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

When you say you did the "home key + power" process ...  you're not seeing the Yellow Triangle with the Android guy? to be clear, this is how you get to the System Menu:

- Power Off

- (remove the battery for like 2 mins, just for grins - put battery back in)

- Press & HOLD the HOME button (2nd button from left)

- Power up the phone - but continue to hold the HOME button for like 1-2 mins. until the Yellow triangle & Android guy comes up.

- Now press BOTH the up & down arrows at the same time

This SHOULD put you into the System Menu where you can Wipe the CACHE (safe to do), or a Factory Reset You use the up & down arrows to scroll through the Menu. The power button to make the Selection from the Menu.

if you can't get into this, sounds time to take to a Verizon store ... they can "re-flash" the phone for you.

0 Likes