Droid X freezing/locking up
Grazer

Lately, my Droid X has been freezing up - in the middle of something, the screen will just freeze and all the buttons will become inoperative.  You can't even turn the unit off.  The only way that you can get out of this state is to take the battery out and then put it back in and turn the unit on again.

I've done an internet search and it looks like this is a common problem.  Initially, the thinking was that "unapproved apps" were causing the problem, but a lot of the posts are from people that aren't running anything other than the stock apps that come with the phone.  People at VZW told me that it has been "fixed", but from my experience and all the posts I see on the internet, clearly this is not true.

Any one else out there having this experience?  If so, what is VZW telling you?  Is this a software problem that can be fixed, or (much worse) a hardware problem that needs a recall?

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Droid X freezing/locking up
Grazer

Forgot to say that I am running the Android 2.1.  I am wondering if updating to 2.2 will help any with the lockup problem.

0 Likes
Android10
Contributor - Level 3

First you would want to make sure that you have the latest update on your device.  

From the main screen, touch menu tab
Touch Settings
Touch About Phone
Touch System Updates

If you continue to have problems try doing a factory reset on the  phone.  

MasterReset/Soft Reset: Allows to reset device back to factory settings.

Factory Reset option 1
From the main screen, touch menu tab
Touch Settings
Touch Privacy
Touch Factory Data reset
Touch Reset Phone
Touch Erase Everything
Warning: This will erase all data from your phone, including:

• Your Google account
  • System and application data and settings
  • Downloaded Applications

It will not erase: Current System software and bundled applications; SD Card files, such as music or Photos

Factory Reset option 2  - Warning this will reset device back to original factory settings.

1. Turn off the phone
  2. Press Power + Home at the same time
  3. Display will show a triage android screen
  4. Press the search hardkey - this will unhide the menu and show the following options 
    1. Reboot system Now
    2. Apply sdcard:update.zip
    3. Wipe Data/Factory Reset
    4. Wipe Cache Partition
  5. Use VOL Down key to scroll down to "Wipe Data/Factory Reset", press camera key to select option and wipe device.
0 Likes
srnewby

I have just started having that problem in the last couple of days on my Droid X as well.  Have had the 2.2 update loaded for about a week and have never had this problem until the last couple of days.  I didn't ever root my phone and I am only running stock apps.  I hope it clears itself up or Motorola comes out with a fix soon.

0 Likes
Grazer

Noah,

Thanks for the procedure.  I have updated everything including Android to 2.2.  So I will see if it continues to lock up periodically.

However, you can see from the other reply to my initial post, that another user is experiencing the same problem and is already running 2.2.  So, I don't really expect that to help.  In fact, I know 3 other people that are personal friends that have Droid X's and all three are having the same problem.

While I appreciate you posting the standard procedure, I believe that Verizon is still in the "denial" state on this issue.  I suggest that Verizon start pushing hard on Motorola to get to the root cause of this and get a fix in place, even if it means recalling the things.

BTW, I think the Droid X is a great phone, maybe even the best on the market now.  This problem just needs to get fixed!

0 Likes
furyzin

After the OTA update to froyo 2.2, my music player consistently locks up the phone. Requiring a battery pull as it becomes completely unresponsive. Specifically pressing th playlist icon while the music app is running will lock up the phone. I have had to resort to using a third party music app. 

0 Likes
PacoX
Enthusiast - Level 3
For those with 2.2 the best thing to do it completly wipe the whole phone. SD card included. There are some bugs and glitches going from 2.1 to 2.2. Old data trying to interact with new data and things go bad. You can clear you Music Player app data but thats only a temporary fix because the problems seems to lie else where. Either way, you are going to have to reset because the Music player pretty much loads up the whole phone. Do a factory reset. When your phone comes back on skip putting in your account into. A matter of fact skip everything. At your homescreen go to Settings > Privacy. Click Back Up so you can uncheck Automatic Back up, and then uncheck Back Up. Hit Back then go to the SD card setting. Unmount and Format your SD card (Back up any files onto you desktop first). Now you can go to Accounts and set you accounts back up, be sure no to import any app settings from your Google account. Redownload your apps and enjoy your fresh phone. With a decent 3G connect you will have all your apps back in less than an hours, maybe faster with a WiFi connection.
0 Likes
JJ48

Yes I have had my Droid x for a couple of months now and have the same issue. Not as extreme as having to remove the battery but locking up. It's frustrating when you can't make a call from your phone when you want to. Verizon blames manufacture or claims it is a one off. I guess they need to learn how to use google.

0 Likes
mobius0322
Enthusiast - Level 3

Mine was doing the same thing after 2.2 update but did factory reset and it works fine now.:smileyvery-happy:

0 Likes
shumms311

I guess I need to do this...but it seems like such a pain!  What will this erase?  I recently went from 2.1 to 2.2 and am experiencing the same lockup problems.  So do I just move my apps to my card, and then from my card to a folder on my computer?  I'm just wondering if a factory reset will erase some of my data?

0 Likes