Re: Droid X and Battery Charging
Chris1987

Ok, thank you for your help, the store called and said they will have more on Tuesday and they are holding one for me to exchange it. At least they are helpful and willing to exchange the device. I was also wondering if the notification light on the front of the phone should light up while it is on the charger? Mine flashes green once when as soon as it is plugged in and then doesn't do anything.

0 Likes
magicswebpage
Enthusiast - Level 3

Charge your battery

Modern **bleep** ion batteries work best when you recharge them before they discharge completely. Recharge after 75 percent of the battery is discharged. This not only improves the battery’s performance but also improves its lifespan. Don’t store your cell phone on the charger. Storing it at full capacity can actually decrease the lifespan of this type of battery.

0 Likes
Chris1987

magicswebpage wrote:

Charge your battery

Modern **bleep** ion batteries work best when you recharge them before they discharge completely. Recharge after 75 percent of the battery is discharged. This not only improves the battery’s performance but also improves its lifespan. Don’t store your cell phone on the charger. Storing it at full capacity can actually decrease the lifespan of this type of battery.

Recharging that often is not an option for me unfortunately. My job does not allow me to be sitting in one place for very long. I have access to a charger when I am at home and going to and from work. My Nexus One that I had before the DX would be at around 40% when I went to bed at night. If I can make it from 6am-10pm with minimal useage on the DX, I'll be happy.
0 Likes
magicswebpage
Enthusiast - Level 3

yeah i know what u mean  with my droid 1 i got 14hrs and had a backup battery.. so this 4hrs is killing me... i been looking for a backup charger to charge a spare battery..  i am also planning to get the extended battery.. to replace this.. i do know there a update coming this week. so i hope it fixes the battery cuz 4hrs is weak!  

0 Likes
Chris1987

magicswebpage wrote:

yeah i know what u mean  with my droid 1 i got 14hrs and had a backup battery.. so this 4hrs is killing me... i been looking for a backup charger to charge a spare battery..  i am also planning to get the extended battery.. to replace this.. i do know there a update coming this week. so i hope it fixes the battery cuz 4hrs is weak!  

We can hope :smileyhappy: . Hopefully between having my phone swapped out and the update I might see this good battery life that Verizon and Moto say its capable of.

0 Likes
jaydroid

Thanks for posting your Droid X issues.  I got the X at Best Buy the first day and I think we have the same problems; at least I know I'm not alone.  I'll give my tale of woe here in case it helps anyone else out.

I got my phone home from Best Buy (ten minutes away) and the screen locked up, completely.  None of the button presses worked but I finally figured that I should remove and replace the battery, so I did, and the X came back up, but then the screen faded out after a minute and I couldn't get it back on.  I plugged it into the charger, saw it charging, and left it charging overnight.  The next morning I changed the settings to keep the screen on forever, then started using the X, and after a few minutes it again faded to half bright, then finally a dark screen.  I could NOT get it back on without removing and replacing the battery.

I took it to a Verizon store and the guy just said "battery's dead" and handed it back to me.   I took it home and tried charging and it said 70%.   I left it charge to 100%, turned it on, turned it off, and let it sit overnight.  This morning, the phone again froze up with the screen still on, so I removed/replaced the battery and turned it on again, and shortly thereafter the screen faded out and went dead.  I turned it on several more times and each time it turned itself off after a few seconds.   So I took it to Best Buy, where they could not do anything with the phone, including reset, until they too removed/replaced the battery.  Next they did a "reset", some combination of buttons, rebooted it and gave it back to me.  I drove home (10 minutes), and when I got home the screen was frozen.  Pluggin in the power cable didn't do anything at all, no indicator light or M icon,  so I again removed/replaced the battery and again plugged it into the charger.  The battery icon came up and showed 70% battery, charging.

I'm pretty sure I won't be able to use the phone for more than a couple minutes, and I'm really tired of opening the back and removing the battery all the time.  I'm hoping that this is some software glitch and that there's a fix  they can send over the air soon, but otherwise I guess I'll have to exchange the phone too.  Which is too bad, because for the few minutes I've been able to use it, its really a dramatic device. 

0 Likes
Chris1987

jaydroid wrote:

Thanks for posting your Droid X issues.  I got the X at Best Buy the first day and I think we have the same problems; at least I know I'm not alone.  I'll give my tale of woe here in case it helps anyone else out.

I got my phone home from Best Buy (ten minutes away) and the screen locked up, completely.  None of the button presses worked but I finally figured that I should remove and replace the battery, so I did, and the X came back up, but then the screen faded out after a minute and I couldn't get it back on.  I plugged it into the charger, saw it charging, and left it charging overnight.  The next morning I changed the settings to keep the screen on forever, then started using the X, and after a few minutes it again faded to half bright, then finally a dark screen.  I could NOT get it back on without removing and replacing the battery.

I took it to a Verizon store and the guy just said "battery's dead" and handed it back to me.   I took it home and tried charging and it said 70%.   I left it charge to 100%, turned it on, turned it off, and let it sit overnight.  This morning, the phone again froze up with the screen still on, so I removed/replaced the battery and turned it on again, and shortly thereafter the screen faded out and went dead.  I turned it on several more times and each time it turned itself off after a few seconds.   So I took it to Best Buy, where they could not do anything with the phone, including reset, until they too removed/replaced the battery.  Next they did a "reset", some combination of buttons, rebooted it and gave it back to me.  I drove home (10 minutes), and when I got home the screen was frozen.  Pluggin in the power cable didn't do anything at all, no indicator light or M icon,  so I again removed/replaced the battery and again plugged it into the charger.  The battery icon came up and showed 70% battery, charging.

I'm pretty sure I won't be able to use the phone for more than a couple minutes, and I'm really tired of opening the back and removing the battery all the time.  I'm hoping that this is some software glitch and that there's a fix  they can send over the air soon, but otherwise I guess I'll have to exchange the phone too.  Which is too bad, because for the few minutes I've been able to use it, its really a dramatic device. 

I feel your pain. Mine started freezing up as well. I got the update this morning, and it hasn't frozen since (YET), but I am hopeful. As far as the battery life, mine is still draining as quickly as ever. If it is at 5% and I plug it in, it will be at 100% in 10 minutes or less, there is no way it is charging properly. I was promised an exchange today, but of course, they didn't get anymore in yet.

As far as the charging indicator light, I don't think it is supposed to light up while charging, well at least mine doesn't. That is aggravating because it is nice to be able to look at a phone and know its charged or not judging by the light (red, orange, green). So no, you are not alone my friend. I would get your name on the list for an exchange if possible. I have tried everything with mine, from buying a new battery to "calibrating" to task killers, the list goes on and on. The weird thing is, with my device if it freezes and I have to pull the battery, the charge level doubles, but then it goes back to draining quickly again.

The store where I purchased mine put me on the top of their waiting list, so as long as they get one in, they will swap it out. I would take yours to the store again and discuss your options for an exchange. I wish I could be more help, but I am hopeful we will have working devices soon. This really is an amazing device, and working properly, it will be that much better.

0 Likes
magicswebpage
Enthusiast - Level 3

2 options

1) apply the update moto. just sent out  out by  going to

setttings |about phone| system updates

2) factory reset

settings | privacy | factory data reset

i had alot of problems with lags and locking up  so i did a reset and things been great

i love this phone...

0 Likes
Bosmannn

make sure you charge your phones by the wall receptacle/outlet and not the usb port on your computer. When you charge from your outlet it charges at the correct frequencies. When you charge from your computer it tries to charge too fast and it ruins your battery.

0 Likes
Chris1987

Bosmannn wrote:

make sure you charge your phones by the wall receptacle/outlet and not the usb port on your computer. When you charge from your outlet it charges at the correct frequencies. When you charge from your computer it tries to charge too fast and it ruins your battery.

My phone was never attached to my computer, I used my card reader to load my pics onto my sd card. Anyways, the store replaced my Droid X on Thursday, and WOW, what a difference! I brought it home, charged it over night, downloaded the update the next morning, up time: 25:35:02 with light usage (email syncing every hour, facebook on, a few phone calls, a few text messages, 5 min of web browsing) and it is at 70% battery Smiley Happy. My last one would be dead in 4 hours with light usage, even WITH the update. I am very pleased with these results. I normally use my phone more than I have in the past 25 hours, but I'm confident I will be able to make it through a whole day without having to plug it in even with moderate usage Smiley Happy.

0 Likes