Droid X Wifi, I turn it off, it turns itself back on!!??!?!?!
jpstephens225

I've seen a few people ask about this, but no one seems to have an answer yet.  I'm trying to turn off the wifi to save battery.  I have turned it off with both the widget and in the settings.  After I turn it off,  the next time I unlock the phone to do something, the wifi turns itself back on!  I can't keep it turned off.  Does anyone know why or how to stop this?  And no, it's not a "feature", you must be able to turn off the wifi somehow.

0 Likes
Re: Droid X Wifi, I turn it off, it turns itself back on!!??!?!?!
Wildman
Legend

It may not be a feature but it could be a app, I havent noticed this issue on my device so I am guessing but I would say you might want to investigate all your installed apps or check th settings option under Settings > Data Delivery > Social Application and make sure the option "Sync over wifi only" isnt causing the issue, maybe this option can be connecting when in range of a verified wifi.

0 Likes
jpstephens225

Was a good shot, but not the answer.  I checked and it was already set the way you mentioned.  Thanks.  Any other suggestions?

0 Likes
jpstephens225

I think I've narrowed it down to the Droid X restarting the Wifi connection whenever I "wake up" the phone.  Does that make sense to anyone?  I want to stop this.  If I turn off the adapter, the Droid X shouldn't start it back up unless I tell it to.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Have you look into the possibility of a app causing this issue, look through your apps for any apps that has any connection to controlling web connection.   I am remebering seeing a option to force data connection when updating but for the life of me I cant think which menu I seen this option.

0 Likes
bowlingd

I'm having the exact same problem...I'm confident it's either a malfunction in my phone, or an app that I recently installed, since the problem has only shown itself in the past few days, and I've had my phone for several months.

I believe I've uninstalled all the apps I've installed over the past few days, OR checked the individual app connection settings, to no avail...

Have you installed any apps in the past few days?

0 Likes
bowlingd

I'm suspicious that it may be the YouTube Remote app that I installed a few days ago...but It's not one of my apps that's running in the background, so it doesn't make much sense.

It seems like it it was an app problem, it would be an app that's running in the background. Check your background apps.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

From you information I would say it is definitely a app issue, you only have to options to trouble shoot...

1. Uninstall apps on at a time until you identify issue

2. Hard rest and see if issue goes away.

0 Likes
simplicitous

Ok, this is my second factory reboot this weekend.  I always get too excited and keep re-installing everything.  But this time I am going to go one by one on the apps. My Droid X has been turning wifi on and off on a one minute schedule for a couple weeks. I'm determined to figure out the root of the problem.

FYI,

1. As I reset my options I am turning off all anonymous user data collection via google.

2. I did use Verizon back up assistant.  It re-installed maps update and youtube update.  I un-installed youtube, but can't live without maps...

0 Likes