Re: Droid X Wi-Fi Issues
Giovanni8089

Update... I was running firmware 1.32.  I updated to the latest firmware for DIR-655, 1.34NA.

At least for now, it's working.

I'm running g & n mixed mode, WPA2 & AES security.  TKIP also works.

My internet searches found the problem may be isolated to new D-Link N routers.

0 Likes
EncoreUneFois

My wife and I both got the Droid X on the 15th and it would not hold a stable connection to our D-Link DIR-825 wireless N router.  I had to change both the G & N bands to TKIP in order for WiFi to work on the X.  When using an AES cipher, the X would connect briefly and then immediately disconnect in an endless cycle.  The router is using the latest firmware from D-Link.  I suppose using TKIP is a reasonable work-around, but our laptop, 3 of our friend's iPhones, and a friend's Blackberry Storm 2 all had no issues connecting to our WiFi when it was using AES. Only the Droid X had issues.  Hmmm.

Interestingly enough, our Droid X's both had that contact synch problem when the Verizon rep transferred the contacts from our old flip phones to the Droid X.  Contacts would only appear in the contact search area.  This was fixed by running the preinstalled VZ Backup Assistant app.  We also have unsatisfactory battery life.  With all the default apps and settings loaded, both of our Droid X phones will lose up to 30% of our battery life just from sleeping from 12:00am to 7:00am.  Is that normal??  To compare competing phones, my friend's iPhone 4 lost only 3% battery power while asleep for 7 hours.  Regardless, I still love the Droid X, but could my wife and I have defective phones?  With so many minor issues---- do I wait for possible software updates or return the phones for new ones?

0 Likes
Joshbic

I am another who is having issues with my wifi connections.....

i'm using a ATTuverse router.....my droid x shows connected with 4 bars.....yet i cannot get a connection at all.....

i cannot connect to any hotspots either....

i have been to every forum......tried everything.........Faulty phone?

If Verizon is gonna cut the unlimited Data, they'd better get these issues resolved.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Out of curiousity, how many are you running their router strickly in Wireless N mode, I had issues holding a connection as long as I was running in B,G and N compatible mode but after I changed it to strickly N since everything I have has a N wifi bandwith card (Including My Droid X) and I havent had any issue since..  Other than a slow initial connection that I think is a phone firmware issue and hoping for a fix from Moto.

0 Likes
tggagne

I just received my Droid X today and it seems unable to connect to my Linksys WRT54G2 V1.

Very annoying.

0 Likes
Schwartz

I too am having problems staying connected to any router. I have tried a Meraki, Dlink, Netgear, and Cisco. I have tried G only with WPA2 AES on the ones that have that option and still have the problem. With all of them the phone will connect and work for a little while and then just stop passing data. If I toggle the wifi off and then on again it will work for a little while and then stop again. None of the other devices using the routers exhibit the same problem.

0 Likes
SGT_Radar

I have been having Wifi problems and so far I have found a temporary fix.  I am running a SonicWALL TZ100 Wireless N, I have it setup with a WPA2-PSK for my main SSID, and no key (open) on my guest SSID.  (I am able to run more the one SSID's, and I setup a guest for testing purposes). Both SSID's are running in n/g/b mode and not the full n-only mode.   My Droid X will connect without any problem on either SSID with full strength, however It would lose connection on and off constantly after a few minutes.   Even when the connection was excellent however, I have only been able to get very little or no data transfer of any kind, browsing etc.  After testing several things over the past week to get it to work, I  noticed irregular data transfer, performance issues, and high ping times on my wireless laptops connected to the network.  However, I found this would only occur when the Droid X was connected to the network.  I then decided to try changing the wireless mode from n/g/b, to g/b only.  Once I made this change, The Droid X instantly was able to browse and transfer data on Wifi, and it would not drop connection.  Now I changed back to n/g/b, and I lost all ability to transfer data while the device still says "connected".  After several tests, it seems to be working good in g/b mode. 

Disappointed that the device would not operate properly in n mode, I called Verizon who immediately deferred me to Motorola.  After quite sometime on the phone with them they agreed there was a problem, they want to research it more and work to resolve the issue I guess with an update.  They took my phone number and email for additional correspondence to resolve the issue and asked if I knew anyone else with the problem to call them to document the issue. 

Oh, and just to mention before the Droid X none of my laptops, XBOX 360, Wii, and printer have had any issues running in wireless N mode on mhy network.  Hope this helps. 

0 Likes
Metalheadzaid

It's a real bummer that using 3g is faster than WiFi more often than not. I've used WPA2(TKIP and AES), WEP, and currently an unsecured network and it's all the same =(

Regardless, phone is awesome.

0 Likes
kb4ob

I am having similar issues with WIFI. I am running an open G network and the phone will connect when the network is initially set up under system settings and does not normally drop out unless it is out of range or WIFI is turned off.

Once WIFI is turned off or carrier is lost, It will not automatically reconnect unless I go back into the system panel and drill down to the screen that displays currently configured networks. I then immediately obtains an IP address and reconnects.

.I am running an application called WIFI Analyzer and I have noticed that it will reconnect if this application is opened.

This would seem to indicate that the phone is not doing any background WIFI activity monitering and as such will not reconnect until something actually triggers it by specifically requiring WIFI.

0 Likes
ssmith10pn
Enthusiast - Level 3

Before I found this forum I went to the Verizon store because anytime I connect WiFi, (Open, Wep, doesn't matter) I can't go to any websites. And as soon as I turn off WiFi I can surf fine.

I told the people at the store about it and of corse they all looked surprised I was having issues.

Then the lady asked me this: "If you have unlimited 3G, why would you use WiFI? Most people only use WiFI on airplanes where they have to turn 3G off."

Soon after they handed me a sticky note with the 800 number for Droid X tech support.

Thought I would share that funny coment. :smileysurprised:

0 Likes