Re: Droid X Wi-Fi Issues
NakkiNyan

ssmith10pn wrote:

Then the lady asked me this: "If you have unlimited 3G, why would you use WiFI? Most people only use WiFI on airplanes where they have to turn 3G off."

That has to be the dumbest thing I have ever heard coming from a VZ employee.  

Any way, 

I can't hold a cell signal and have wi-fi on at the same time, maybe it is some conflict with some people's cell antenna like it is with mine.  Just an idea, I am sort of grasping at straws there :smileyindifferent:

0 Likes
GSBJackson

My D-Link DIR-615 will NOT maintain a secure (WPA-TKIP) wireless connection with Droid X using either "g" or "n".  I happen to also own a Netgear WGT624v3 and it WILL maintain a secure (WPA-TKIP) wireless connection with Droid X using "g".

Base upon the above postings, it appears to be a "D-Link" issue!!!

0 Likes
kpk02

My Droid X has been great for the past month and a half or so, wifi running while at home (lol at the supposed Verizon coverage map.. house is in the middle of coverage yet I get almost no signal) all the time doing it's thing.  Then today suddenly it didn't do anything.  So I started searching and ran across these issues posted.

What fixed it for me (at least for now) was to switch my Netgear N router from channel 1 to Channel 4.  I can't explain why it helped but figured I would mention it. I don't run any security except to hide my SSID. I can say that someone else neaby must be using channel 1 as well based on my wifi signal watcher, so that's why I picked 4. 4 is in between other networks detected. So maybe my Droid X doesn't deal well with any competing signals or something. The thing is though.. that other network has been around for a while so why today did my Droid suddenly stop.

0 Likes
taelok

I had wifi issues as well.  I found a workaround though.  It ended up being a security thing.  I had originally had my wireless security set to WPA2 and neither of my 2 Droid X's could connect.  I changed the wireless security to WEP and they connect like a charm now.

0 Likes
barrydb

Dlink 655, no security, mixed b/g/n, no wish setup

About as simple as you can get - it connects, works for a while, then disconnects. I've watched the logs on my router and the wireless connection suddenly disappears. My old DI 624 router seemed to work just fine - wonder if it's something related to the N network/connection? My router shows it's connecting via the N config. No other networks are showing on my phone. This is obviously an issue, and probably not the router's fault as there are too many other routers with similar issues.

0 Likes
jasontiller

Hi, All, 😕

I'm also having WiFi problems on my X.  I've had it for a week and I like it in pretty much every other way... but this is a *hassle*!

I have a NetGear RangeMax WPN 824 v3 (it's a pre-N router with some custom extensions, although I disable them).  It's worked beautifully with my laptops and my TiVo, but I've been unable to use it from the X with any kind of security enabled.

These are the symptoms:

1.  Turn on WiFi.

2.  Phone quickly connects (and brings up the DLNA and MediaShare crap - how do I turn that off??).

3.  I can see that phone gets an IP address (DHCP succeeds) via my router's log and the X's WiFi info.

4.  Data never flows.  The connection will eventually drop (a minute or so).

I can turn off WiFi and turn it back on... with exactly the same results.  Using a "WiFi fixer" app, I can see the fixer constantly try to reconnect.  Every time it succeeds in connecting to the router and obtaning an IP lease... but I never have any data transfer.

I've tried changing channels.  Originally I was on 6, then "auto," then 1, then 2.  No luck with any.  No change in behavior.

I normally use WEP (TiVo series 2 only supported WEP), so I switched to WPA+TKIP (*not* AES).  Still no luck.  Same behavior.

The only way I've gotten it to work is by disabling all security.  Then the phone would connect just fine, and worked pretty durn quickly.  I WANT THAT ALL THE TIME!!

Looking at the phone's dmesg log, there are some weird error messages from the wifi driver that I don't understand.

Ack!  At first I thought it was a NetGear problem because I'd read that a few people switched away from the WPN824 and the X started working... but I see in this thread that actually people with WPN824s say it works *better*!

Dang!  What's going on?  Do I have to pray towards Mecca to get this to work, or what?  Why is this so hard?  And how could Moto have released a phone with so many *obvious* connection issues?  Sheesh!

---Jason

0 Likes
VZW_Zrock02
Contributor - Level 3

The hard reset should resolve this problem for you. The only thing you will lose is your applications since your contacts are automatically backed up. The steps for performing the reset are listed below:

Performing a factory reset via settings

The most convenient way to do a factory reset is via the phone settings.

Press HOME

> MENU,

then tap Settings.

Scroll down the screen,

and then tap Privacy

> Factory data reset.

On the Factory data reset screen,

tap Reset phone,

and then tap Erase everything.

Hope this helps.

0 Likes
mac7894

No, doing a hard reset does *NOT* fix the issue.

I've done this, and the issue is still there.

To me, this sounds like telling someone who runs Windows to reboot their computer if they have any problem-- it's a blind stab in the dark guess that might work sometimes, but most likely just indicates the person who said it has no idea what the problem is.

It's getting really frustrating that this issue has been around for almost 2 months now, since the phone was launched July 15, (the day I got mine), and no one has come up with a fix yet. I hate to think that I signed a new 2 year contract and will have to live with this issue for another 22 months because it's not being addressed officially, other than "do a hard reset".

0 Likes
CDMA_LTE_Iphone
Contributor - Level 1

Those of you having problems, have you gone into the Advanced wi-fi settings?

0 Likes
HappyJackDaddy
Contributor - Level 1

CDMA_LTE_Iphone wrote:

Those of you having problems, have you gone into the Advanced wi-fi settings?

That's a very good suggestion.  I was having WiFi connect and drop off issues, then I saw on another forum how to go into the Advanced settings.  I didn't even know there were Advanced settings.  Here's how:

From the home screen:  Menu button, Settings, Wireless & Networks, Wi-Fi Settings, then press the menu button and select Advanced, then touch Wi-Fi Sleep Policy.  That will pop up three choices:

When screen turns off

Never when plugged in

Never

It must be defaulted to "when screen turns off," because that's how mine was set and I never even knew those settings were there.  I changed it to "Never" and it seems to work much better.  My wireless router now shows that it connects and stays connected.